American Sign Language for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAIBdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
First, if this isn't the correct place to post this - sorry. Please move. Second - I am aware of "Sea Signs"

This question is for all divers Deaf or hearing.

How interested would you be in learning some simple American Sign Language (such as presented in Sea Signs) to better communicate with your dive buddy or group.

Would there be interest in learning in a classroom situation at your local dive shop ?

Thanks for answers

NAIBDiver1

My wife and I are very interested - in fact we were just discussing this the other day. If it was offered at a local shop I would check into it.

Daz

Considering I'm a Sea Signs Instructor I'm definitely interested.

I'd be interested.

I'd be more interested if one of the big agencies got behind this in an attempt to make it more of a standard, the not some secret language that very few folks UW spoke, so to speak! :D

The only issue I see is that I doubt the majority of the dive community would bother learning this, and then it would be mostly worthless in most travel situations where I was not with a known sea sign buddy.

But I think it's a great idea. My UW communication is rather limited unless I want to take down a slate.

Sign Language is pretty easy to learn, I wish could dive with someone who knew Sign Language it would make things so much easier. In a previous life I taught Sign Language and worked as an Intepreter. It makes perfect sense for divers.

The only reason I haven't made the attempt yet is because the insta buddy is unlikely to use it. However I'll learn it anyway (at some point) since it's remarkably cool and it's also great to be able to communicate with those who can't hear or speak.

I would love to learn American Sign Language to use for my diving. And it's a language I've always wanted to learn, anyway, and using it for diving seems a brilliant way to improve underwater communication.

Becky and me use ASL and invent quick signs according to the situation. We talk up a storm underwater and our divemasters are mostly clueless, but pleased and amazed! Great books out there for divers, you only need a buddy who speaks the same language.

Back
Top Bottom