Americans have few friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the reasons I like living in a small town on a "big" island. In small towns you are far less isolated than in them thar big cities!

Hey Andy,

This is not really a new phenomenon nor is its study a new trend. Of course, this study is from a sociological perspective but Robert Putnam has been making the same argument from a political science perspective for more than a decade now. He is briefly mentioned in that article near the end.

He is generally credited with being the first to point out the decline in civic association in the United States in an article titled "Bowling Alone" (Journal of Democracy 6:1, 01/95) where he made the claim that investment by individual Americans in social networks is declining in favor of a more socially secluded lifestyle. The bowling thing is a symbol for the entire phenomenon as well as an actual example; membership in bowling leagues has declined sharply in the United States.

If you want to depress yourself even further i can point you in the right direction. :D

lol

Whew! So that's why I don't have friends....I thought it was me..:D

H2Andy:
That means that in daily life, personal emergencies and national disasters like Hurricane Katrina, those with the fewest resources also have the fewest personal friends to call for advice and assistance.

"It's one thing to know someone and exchange e-mails with them. It's another thing to say, 'Will you give me a ride out of town with all of my possessions and pets? And can I stay with you for a couple or three months?" Smith-Lovin said.

It is interesting, maybe true, maybe not. I think that in the three months or so that I've been active on the board I've develop a relationship with maybe a dozen people, whom I've never met, but to whom I'd answer that request with, "of course!" And I'd guess that there are three to six that I believe I could count on reciprocally. I sure don’t feel isolated.

well, people must just hate me... dang ...

shouldn't have become a lawyer

:wink:

Now Andy, you get your beauty sleep and will put you on the "A" list.

I'm with you, Thal. I've been heavily involved with BBs for five or six years, and I have made friends I would call on and be surprised if they weren't there for me. We connected with a BB friend when we went to Australia, and she took a whole day off work and took us on a tour of the Blue Mountains. Tim (kidspot) has taken us diving twice now. Internet connections are, or can be, very real.

Of course, I'm agoraphobic and the poster child for social anxiety disorder, so I love the internet as a way to make connections that I can make solid enough BEFORE I have to see people face to face that I can stand the stress of doing so!

Tmania and TSandM, both of you give counter-points that raise a very interesting question. Much of the research in this area deals with the relative decline in physical interaction in the US and other developed nation-states with the general conclusion that less interaction = less social and political capital, decline in the value of citizenship, etc. In fact, many of the authors in this area would say that internet forums such as this are not socially-enhancing since they are hobby-based and therefore bear no direct effect on social capital.

Strictly speaking, that point is true almost by definition. Since this is a SCUBA forum, why would we expect that its users will interact on any level other than SCUBA? Yet as you guys state that's not the extent of it. I believe (even though i'm only generally familiar with this research area and not an expert) that the true impact of internet-generated social relationships that extend beyond the cyber-sphere are underexamined at this point and that many of these pessimistic predictions will have to be re-evaluated accordingly over time.

On the other hand, to support the pessimistic side a little bit, it's still the case that those with unrestricted access to these new resources and the ones who stand to benefit the most come from the upper strata of society so the effect may be biased to begin with. Just a cheery note. :)

BTW, Thalassamania, maybe you're already aware of this but it should be ThalassOmania. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom