America's lost H-bomb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, SJ . . .

Next time I'm down in Savannah and tYb, let's get together.

the K

I'd like that a lot, Kraken. :) I've known you for what - like a decade? :) All the good and bad... :)

Dude, I'd love to meet up. We should have met when I was doing the GA Aquarium job there in Atlanta. :)

If you come this way, bring your dive gear. :)

Hunh?

Let's think about this a minute...

Lost nuke at the bottom of the ocean, subjected to salt water corrosion for over fifty years, possibly leaching hazardous radioactive waste into the water.

I don't know about the rest of you, but were I on a team trying to locate and evaluate the potential for recovering said nuke, I wouldn't be diving atop where I thought it might be. Radiation can have some really nasty effects on the human body, and my inclination would be to use remote submersibles with cameras to try and locate it, rather than risk radiation sickness or cancer from exposure to a leaking bomb.

Documentaries aside, my own personal opinion is, if they're diving for it, they're fairly certain they're NOT in the right location. At least, I wouldn't risk radiation poisoning for the sake of filming a documentary about a missing bomb.

Pfft, try diving inside a nuclear reactor every day for two months straight

. This is not the same as a nuclear reactor dumping waste into a river in large quantities over time, exposure to highly radioactive material, or being close to a sustained chain reaction.

Um, which waste is going into a river exactly?
The water comes from the river or ocean, gets swirled around a heat exchanger (i'm dumbing it down) then gets dumped back into the ocean. It never comes into contact with ANYTHING radioactive.

I've dove in this system from intake to exhaust thousands of times.

I keep diving offshore and have yet to find it. But as mucky as it can be out there, it's no wonder it hasn't been found yet. But with ever increasing survey technology, who knows what they will come up with. Maybe that is why our spiny lobsters are so big way offshore...IJS :wink:

Carolyn:shark2:

It never ceases to amaze me how people can get so worked up over radiation... since we live our lives bathed in it.
By and large these isotopes are heavy metals so they aren't going to be floating around in the water column, and since water is one of the best radiation shields you would have to be laying on the bottom within a few inches to get ANY exposure.

So swim around it all you like, it won't hurt you. AR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom