Amphibico dive buddy i - need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidcd62

New
Reaction score
I have purchased an Amphibico Dive Buddy I in excellent condition with two 100S lights without a manual. Can anyone tell me what Sony Hi8 Cam this enclosure takes or digital Hi8 cams that I can modify the mounting plate plate to accept? I emailed Amphibico and have not received a response, probably won’t given the age of the enclosure. If someone owns one and has a manual that they could email me that would be great and somewhat short of a miracle. I cannot find any information on this enclosure. I would also like to replace the o-rings in the enclosure and lights if anyone knows of a store that sells them. B&H sells the o-rings for the lights, but they are on backorder. 001.jpg

You likely won't receive a reply from Amphibico as they recently closed.

IIRC most of those housings with the green control buttons were for a TRV or earlier series camera. Maybe like this one:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ico-dive-buddy-10-watt-light-sony-trv120.html

Although don't assume a TRV-120 will work as they used the same housing shell for quite a while. I believe I've seen the same housing once with a TR-700 in it. Is there a model # anywhere on the housing? Some of them designated the series it was designed for.

The problem with using a digital HI8 camera might be that Sony changed the position of the lens between series so although the LANC controller might work, the lens won't center in the port properly. That alignment is probably the most critical part.

I was unaware that amphibico has closed. They have a web site that is still running. I looked at the housing you sent a link to and I found a similar housing for sale on a UK website that looks like the one in the link that also takes a trv-120 camera. It’s not the exact housing I have, but very close. I have three sony handy cams that almost work. If I am unable to find the correct cam I think that I can successfully modify my mount to except my cams without distortion. This enclosure has a flat external lens port and has an internal dome lens that screws on to the cam. The strange thing about the mounting plate is that the cam attaching screw is very close to the front of the plate near the lens. All my Hi8 cams mounting threads are near the center of the cam. If I can’t find the correct cam I should be able to drill a new mounting hole in the plate put some type of shim to raise the cam alittle. I have nothing to lose by trying, but I would like to install the correct cam. The enclosure does work with the LANC connection on my cams. The controls are simple, record, off and zoom.
The identity tag states: Model DB I, and the serial number is 9507-600353 and made in Canada. That is all that is on the enclosure. It will be a shame if I can’t get this enclosure to work. It is very well made and in excellent condition.

They're definitely closed - since last April. The website is a cached copy. google it and you'll find this:
What happens to Amphibico? - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

I took a 2nd look at the housing in the link above and it looks to be slightly newer thsn yours IMO. But since you're able to modify the plate to use one of your cameras I would do that. As long as the lens is centered in the port - and as close as possible w/o touching, it should work fine. I'd pick the longest camera you have as it will put the monitor closer to the view port on the back.

Try it w/o the internal lens also if you plan to do any macro. Many higher end housings have flat port options now. Also the focus will likely get "soft" once you zoom out a certain amount with the lens installed - most do. My EVO has their standard lens and it does at about 2/3rd's out.

For o-rings, you can get them anywhere larger o-rings are sold. Remove it and measure the diameter and the thickness. Then match it up to this chart: Size Cross Reference and get the AS568 Dash No. I bought o-rings at a hydraulic supplier locally. I either bought Nitrile (Buna-N) or Viton. Under $5.00 for all I needed. Worked fine for a couple of years on an old Quest housing with a port leak.

Places like WW Grainger are another source. O-Rings - Supplies - Grainger Industrial Supply

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I am new to underwater video, that's why I am trying to spend a minimal amount of money to try it out. Maybe later invest in a more modern enclosure. One that has an external display so that I can better see what I am videoing.

I had the same housing a while ago. The TRV cameras seem to be the right ones but the mounting location is different from camera to camera. On mine I just removed the mounting screw and put Velcro on the mounting plate and the bottom of the camera. Then just pressed the camera on the mounting plate. It worked great for a ton of dives I did with it. I had no issues with it. Just a suggestion for you.

Velcro is a possibility. I didn’t think of that. I am first going to try to drill a new hole in the mounting plate and shimming with some thin Plexiglas. Velcro may be too thick depending on the cam I choose. I will know more when I start which will probably be in few days. Thanks, worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom