An American Soldier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deepest sympathy to family and friends. I was the 3Corps Artillery Surgeon and lost far too many friends from my unit in the first months of the Iraq war.

Hundreds gather to honor a Dadeville soldier killed in Iraq

By Brittany Woodby and Patrick McCreless

To some he was a friend and a comrade. To others he was a cousin, a nephew and a son.

But to everyone, he was a hero.

"How does one say goodbye to a hero," asked the Rev. Brian Hammond. "The answer is you don't say goodbye. You say thank you."

Hundreds of people from all walks of life came together in Dadeville and Alexander City Friday to pay their final respects before Pfc. James Jacob "Spanky" Harrelson, 19, was laid to rest at Hillview Memorial Park.

"Today I represent the secretary of the Army ... but even bigger than that, I stand as a representative of the more than 1 million who wear the uniform of the U.S. Military," said Brig. Gen. Brian Collins. "Today we are grieving because a friend, a fellow soldier, is being laid to rest."

Harrelson died Tuesday, July 17 in Bagdad, Iraq, from wounds he received after his Humvee struck an IED (improvised explosive device). He had been serving in Iraq since May of this year.

Harrelson was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, from Fort Riley, Kan.

Shirley Garrett of Dadeville said she did not know Harrelson personally but felt compelled to attend his funeral anyway.

"He just seemed like a special person," Garrett said.

The Rev. Ken Griffith, Harrelson's former pastor, said he knew Harrelson as a child.

"He was always wanting to be a part of things and to help," Griffith said.

During the funeral services at the First Baptist Church of Dadeville, Collins said Harrelson had been awarded both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for his supreme sacrifice and service to his country.

"Today I have the awesome responsibility and privilege to present the family with these awards," he said. "These are but a small token of appreciation of a grateful nation."

Harrelson's brother, Christopher Baker, who served a tour in Iraq as a sergeant with the U.S. Marines, said his family was deeply saddened at the loss of their loved one, but was also proud that "Spanky" gave his life in the service of his country.

"He considered it his duty," Baker said. "He believed in serving his country."

While the funeral services were concluding in Dadeville, dozens of people gathered among the graves at Hillview Memorial Park. Nearly an hour before the funeral procession made its way to the site where Harrelson's body was to be buried, friends stood and waited for his arrival. Among them was Nonnie Stearns, who remembered Harrelson from his childhood.

"There was always a smile," she said. "They were nice, polite, very giving kids."

Though Stearns mourned the loss of the little boy she knew, she also grieved with Harrelson's family. Her son, Jerry, is preparing for his third tour in Iraq.

"My heart breaks for (Harrelson's mother) Tammy," she said. "I watched [Harrelson] grow up and I'm proud of what he's done for our country. It's because of men like him that my grandchildren can sleep in peace."

As the sun began to set behind the trees lining the cemetery, the procession made its way through downtown and the entrance of Hillview, passing under an American flag suspended over the roadway from the ladder of a fire truck. Tallapoosa County Sheriff Jimmy Abbott led the procession, followed by the roar of over 20 motorcycles driven by the Patriot Guard Riders. While Harrelson's family and the trail of people coming from Dadeville's First Baptist Church made their ways into the cemetery, the Patriot Guard Riders each grabbed American Flags and surrounded the burial site of the fallen soldier.

The Alexander City Veterans Honor Guard stood at attention as Army soldiers from Ft. Benning brought Harrelson's casket to lie before his family and friends. After a reading of Psalm 23 and prayer of thanks for Harrelson's life, the soldiers commended him with a 21-gun salute.

While the rites of honor were carried out, Margaret Kellum watched with a sense of familiarity. Three years ago, her son Lance Cpl. John T. Sims was buried only yards from where Harrelson's casket rested.

"I'm having a lot of flashbacks," she said. "Especially with everyone on the sides of the road. It's just awesome how this city comes together in times like this."

Since the news reached home of Harrelson's death, Kellum said her thoughts have been with his family.

"My heart's still breaking for her and this family," she said. "I know what they are going through and they have a long road ahead of them."

The sound of Taps resounded through the muffled sobs and sniffles of the hundreds who came to honor Harrelson at his graveside and the Army soldiers began folding the flag, which had draped his casket. Once it had been presented to Harrelson's parents, others came forth to give thanks and offer fellowship on behalf of different groups.

With a somber sense of camaraderie, Deborah Tanner spoke to Harrelson's mother. Tanner said she represented the Blue Star and Gold Star Mothers of America.

"You are not alone," she said. "I too, am a gold star mother."

Tanner presented Harrelson's mother with a Son in Service flag, baring the gold star of sacrifice.

The family rose to take one last glance at the casket, which had served as the physical presence of their son for the last week. They were ushered back to their vehicles and others came to say goodbye and thanks to Spanky Harrelson, their friend, classmate and hero.

"I feel a great loss," Harrelson's uncle, Robert Vickers said. "But I also feel great pride...I've traveled around the world, I know what it's like outside this country and I know it takes the sacrifices of men like [Harrelson] to keep us free."

From a Dadeville newspaper

Azza:
I can Guaran****ingtee you he didnt die willingly....

Ya think?...

My son is a Marine in Iraq and I don't think there are many who feel more for the young folks dying over and their families than I do.

I keep telling myself that I'm not going to post to any more of these war related threads. I have stayed out of a few but I just can't stay out of all of them. I'm probably going to get this thread closed but every time I see a death over there romanticized, it just turns my stomach.

I'm sure that articles like the one in the last post sell papers and stories like that boost ratings for the news networks but they turn my stomach.

We have a thread on the board titled "If I should die while diving". Some of us have weighed in there and expressed our wishes. Maybe we need another titled "If My Child Should Die in the Middle East"?

I don't know what will happen and maybe the things that give other people comfort give me a sick stomach because I'm strange but I'll tell you what I'm thinking now. I'd rather talk about my son while he is alive if you don't mind because, should he fall over there, I doubt I'll have much more to say. I hope I don't say anything that he wants kept confidential.

He calls me every few days and I know what he wants...

He wants to come home.

He never drank before he was a Marine but he says he wants a beer.

He wants to go fishing in the nice little small mouth river that we have right close to the house.

He wants to go diving.

Those are all things for him but he isn't selfish, just homesick.

He's planning two big cookouts (probably at my expense, LOL). One for family and another for his buddies. He was going to have one for everybody but once he mentioned the music I suggested that he just make it two different get-togethers.

Not long ago he was talking about becoming a farrier (shoeing horses) and working with me.

Now he says he wants to go to the police academy but he's also talking about going into ministry and opening a church. The very last time he called, he asked me how you go about opening a church. At that age, who knows what they are really going to do? Anyway, I told you that he wasn't selfish.

On that same phone call he also wanted to talk about a little problem in the family and his plan for fixing it when he gets home. He made me promise to not do anything other than think about it until he gets here. It felt a little strange having my son counsel me on family matters and I almost spoke up to put him in his place. Fortunately my brains overtook my mouth for probably the first time in my life and I shut up and listened. Imagine that, though, he's over there dodging IEDs and pot shots from snipers and he's worried about this stuff.

He NEVER hangs up the phone without telling me that he loves me. He's a large sized, almost 22 year old, trained and honed Marine fighting machine and he makes it a point to tell his father that he loves him during every phone call.

Should he fall, I don't think I will listen with kindness to anyone talking about how they knew him as a child because they didn't! I don't think I will suffer crowds lining the street. Should he be lost, none of them will have any idea what was really lost. How could they? We don't know who those people are now and we'll just finish this without them, thanks anyway. If any of them want to do something, now would be the time. Otherwise, they can stay home and watch "American Idol" or something.

If my son should fall over there it would not be wise for any reporter to put a mic or a camera in my face unless they have a very VERY good proctologist.

I don't think I want to see any general or representative of the secretary of the army, marines or anything else speaking for or over my son whom they have never known. This gamoke isn’t going to represent my son around here unless I hear my sone say that he does.

Should he fall, no politician will use either my son or I in a political campaign such as we saw here in Indiana during our last Gubernatorial race. I've never seen anything quite so disgusting in all of my life.

He was always a good boy with a good heart and now he is a young man with that same nature. What kind of beyond the pale, indescribable arrogance does it take for any of us or our government or anyone in Iraq to think that we or anything to do with us is worth saving if the cost is people like him?

I may have a foul disposition but this "modern", "nonviolent", "enlightened" society of ours with its limitless capacity for monstrosities is just flat out barbaric. I'm even starting to believe in...or should I say "hope for"?...evolution. When do you think it will start?

Mike,
"He was always a good boy with a good heart and now he is a young man with that same nature. What kind of beyond the pale, indescribable arrogance does it take for any of us or our government or anyone in Iraq to think that we or anything to do with us is worth saving if the cost is people like him?"

People like your son gave this country its freedom.

People like your son ended slavery.

People like your son defeated the Axis Powers.

People like your son ran into the twin towers to help save lives while others were running out.

Without people like your son that serve their country, there would be no country.
I won't even pretend to understand your anxst and while I don't personally feel that I am worthy of anyone's sacrifice, I am deeply humbled and grateful for it.

MikeFerrara:
I am completely on your side. I hate people glorifying war and death... its a nasty business and shouldnt be represented as anything but.
I hope your lad comes home safe.
Kia Kaha

Mike

Thanks for the post pouring out your fondest thoughts of your son. Too often we fail to do so until it's too late. Thus the old adage, "You don't know what you got till it's gone." You have no doubts that you have a wonderful son who loves and respects his family.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I wish and pray that your boy will fulfill his mission and return to yuu unharmed.

When I first read the thread and began composing my post, I guess I didn't pay attention or give much thought to what forum the thread was in. In that light, my post probably wasn't completely appropriate. I apologize if my post side tracked the discussion away from the "Passing" of Jacob Harrelson. I'm a bit preoccupied with the fact that my own son is over there but I didn't intend to be disrespectful or inconsiderate toward someone elses son.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom