An earned OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations Barbara!

I'm sure you realize how unique your learning experience has been. You were undoubtedly further along at the moment of certification than many divers ever get.

Dive safe and often,
Pete

Much congratulations Barbara and what a great story. It should be a required read for those who get down on themselves when frustrations arise in OW classes....

Barbara,

Congratulations.

I didn't realize dyslexia affected physical activities. I thought it only affected reading. It is great that you overcame it.

Kudos to your instructor, as well.

Jeff

I'm going over there to dive with her in September. I'LL be the judge of whether she can really dive!

Don Wray:
I agree, you definantly earned it...congratulations. The instructor deserves cudos also. I wonder, what agency did he teach for.
PADI

jtoorish:
Barbara,
Congratulations.
I didn't realize dyslexia affected physical activities. I thought it only affected reading. It is great that you overcame it.
Kudos to your instructor, as well.
Jeff
She's not really dyslexic. It was just the (not so unusual) stuff with putting the BC on the wrong side of the tank, reg on the wrong side of the valve, BC upside-down, etc. I've seen it all happen a-plenty with brand new students.

Her instructor really worked her over hard. She was his first 'mature' (old, old, old!) student, and I'm sure that he was a bit concerned about cutting her loose. Good for him! I'm sure diving this much with an instructor critiquing each dive has made her much better than average.

Don Wray:
I thought that was probably it. PADI takes such a bashing on here I just thought good information should be brought up.

Padi is a for profit company---they'll do it however they can---but the instructor makes all the difference, and from what I've experienced, they train them well. Something positive, to encourage instructors to do a good, caring job: about the same time I got my C-card I received a personal letter from PADI thanking me for filling out their on-line form asking about the quality of my course. When I had filled it out, I added some details of learning with Ben. They were apparently impressed; they sent him a copy of what I wrote and told him it would go into his professional file. Nice.

Gabe, I really am dyxlexic, but I deal with it constantly. I switch numbers and letters, and get right and left confused. I just always double check my work.

Thank you to all who noticed we're in a scary situation here. I'm in a fairly safe area, but the general tension is intense. Anyone coming to go dive in Eilat----DON"T cancel your trip---it's very safe there.

And thanks for all the congrats and encouragement.

Barbara

Congrats to you for the effort and for joining the diving community.

But, as someone said it first - kudos to your instructor! I wish we would see more of such examples of insisting on safety before the profit. Well done, both!

Back
Top Bottom