Anacapa Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Saw a repeat of a Huell Howser show on Anacapa Island. Looks like a gorgeous place. Clear water, amazing structures (big ol' arch and stuff). I've pretty much disregarded the northern Channel Islands up until now, since the drive up to Ventura is a pretty long haul for me. But after seeing the special I'm intrigued.

Could someone describe the diving there? I assume it takes like an hour to get there from Ventura? Do most LA folks stay overnight the night before? Will I get to see Huell when I get there?

mccabejc:
Saw a repeat of a Huell Howser show on Anacapa Island. Looks like a gorgeous place. Clear water, amazing structures (big ol' arch and stuff). I've pretty much disregarded the northern Channel Islands up until now, since the drive up to Ventura is a pretty long haul for me. But after seeing the special I'm intrigued.

Could someone describe the diving there? I assume it takes like an hour to get there from Ventura? Do most LA folks stay overnight the night before? Will I get to see Huell when I get there?

I love diving at Anacapa. I have dove there on the Spectre and Peace. I usually drive up at night after traffic and spend the night on the boat. A few things that make it different than the Southern Islands.

- Water is a few degrees colder. I think 52f in the middle of June a few years ago.
- The sea life is a little bit different. Much more Macro life on the reefs than Catalina. I never saw a Sunflower Star until I went to Anacapa.
- The channel crossing is much shorter, I think it is only 9 miles from Ventura Harbor to Anacapa, instead of the 22 it is to Catalina.
- I always see tons of dolphins during the crossing (one time the pod had to be in the thousands)
- I have seen lots of Humpback whales when on the surface near Anacapa
- Santa Cruz is very close to Anacapa and a few times the Spectre would visit both on a day trip (2 Islands for the price of one!).
- Diving at the preserve at Landing Cove is awesome, tons of big fish and really thick kelp. Very friendly fish from what I remember.
- I remember more areas where you can see walls of colorful anemones.
- There was one site I remember where the entire sea floor was covered with Brittle Stars (millions if I had to guess).
- Saw my only Mola Mola's there (Ocean Sunfish)

You should go! The diving is great and it's a beautiful island top side too.

My goal is to eventually dive all the California Islands but I still have not dove at San Miguel, Santa Rosa or San Nicholas.

I am planning on going on the Peace on the 6th of July to San Miguel. That will be one more for me :)

Cheers,
Mike
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

i found all of the northern channel islands to be awsome, a must do and do over dive places, and now on the 25th of july i will get to do the southern islands and i cant wait

Keep in mind there is no fresh water on the island (you have to bring your own) and the giant stride off of the landing dock can be...adventuresome. It can be quite a drop.

Jim,

I have been on Spectre twice now and enjoyed both trips very much. The boat has great diving, great food and crew. I would high recommend a trip to the island. If you go hopefully you get to hit the reserve… lots and lots of life. The back side (were you might find lots of lobster traps) allows hunting and you can see the difference in the fish census. Although the entire island is a splendid dive; well at least the spots I have hit.
Thomas

mccabejc:

Hi Jim,
If you go see if you can get them to go to Underwater Island it's pretty cool there. I've dove off the Spectre a few times also & I had a good time everytime.

Jim - you should definitely check out Anacapa. Some really nice dives. I've been on the Spectre and the Peace, and liked them both. It's worth the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom