Analysis paralysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yaeger

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all!

My wife and I are looking to budget upgrade our masks, fins, and DSMB. Any suggestions?

Hi all!

My wife and I are looking to budget upgrade our masks, fins, and DSMB. Any suggestions?
What are you upgrading from? That is, what do you ahve now that you want to improve on?
What kind of diving do you like to do?
What are your priority desires? That is, are you looking for a particular color, or weight, or type?

What are you upgrading from? That is, what do you ahve now that you want to improve on?
What kind of diving do you like to do?
What are your priority desires? That is, are you looking for a particular color, or weight, or type?
We’re both upgrading from basic gear bought when we first got into diving aka masks that don’t fit great, fins that tire you out more than push you forward. We’ve been looking at frameless for mask, foldable snorkel, and jet fin styled fins. We dive mostly in Caribbean or warm waters but also during warmer months do some local diving here in the St. Lawrence River. We’re working a way up through our certs so we’re hoping to get some pieces that we’ll benefit us for years to come.

For a mask, the only high-priority criterion is whether it fits you. All else is incidental. A good dive shop can help you with that; buying off the internet is useless.

For fins, There are two big choices and then a number of smaller ones: Big #1 - paddle or split. Big #2 - positve, neutral, or heavy in the water. "jet fin styled" doesn't help much, except possibly to mean paddle over split. If your current fins (what are they?) tire you out, they are probably paddles and too stiff for you, and/or too long. Again, a good dive shop might let you try out some fins in a pool. Friends might have some you can try on a dive. Note: if you dive warm waters, you probably do NOT want heavy fins.

We’ve been looking at frameless for mask, foldable snorkel, and jet fin styled fins. We dive mostly in Caribbean or warm waters but also during warmer months do some local diving here in the St. Lawrence River.
People's preferences vary. Here are some of mine.

1.) I'm not a fan of low volume masks, because most any masks leaks some with me, and the lower the volume, the faster it fills. You may often see 'low volume' mentioned in a positive way, so obviously some people prefer them.

2.) I tend to be foot heavy. It's my understanding some dry suit divers have trouble with floaty feet; I suspect many wetsuit divers have heavy feet. Regardless, a near-neutral fin can help. Deep6 Eddys and OMS Slipstreams can offer that in a paddle-style fin. I wear size 15 shoes, so I only have experience with 'big foot' compatible fins. Both of those come with spring straps, and a lot of divers like spring straps. The Deep6 Eddy foot pocket is taller.

Richard.

People's preferences vary. Here are some of mine.

1.) I'm not a fan of low volume masks, because most any masks leaks some with me, and the lower the volume, the faster it fills. You may often see 'low volume' mentioned in a positive way, so obviously some people prefer them.

2.) I tend to be foot heavy. It's my understanding some dry suit divers have trouble with floaty feet; I suspect many wetsuit divers have heavy feet. Regardless, a near-neutral fin can help. Deep6 Eddys and OMS Slipstreams can offer that in a paddle-style fin. I wear size 15 shoes, so I only have experience with 'big foot' compatible fins. Both of those come with spring straps, and a lot of divers like spring straps. The Deep6 Eddy foot pocket is taller.

Richard.
I like low-volume because they are easier/faster/uses-less-air to clear.
I'm a huge fan of Deep6 fins, but the OP is in the UK, so maybe not the best choice for him.

I haven't dove them, but for light-weight fins, I believe the ScubaPro Go Sport fin has gotten some buzz in a number of threads, and that brand is widespread. Might be worth some forum Searching and review. Don't recall whether they have spring straps, something to note.

I've read significant positive feedback on Mares Avanti Quattro fins over the years, though not specifically regarding weight. If I had normal size feet, I'd have read more on them.

The mask is a fit issue and can only be resolved at your LDS. The fins I would suggest the Mares Avanti Quattro because they work for most all diving warm or cold, good propulsion and are neutral bouyant. Many fin options out there but the Avanti Quattros have a large following because they just work and last forever.

Quattros are always an excellent choice. However, after some 56 years an active diver, I have long last found the perfect fin and everything else is retired. Well, not exactly, for cold(er) water I still retain my SP Jets in size XL. But for everything else, the best fin ever (IMO!!!!!!), the SP Go-Sport (size L). It does everything the Jet Fin does except it is maybe slightly positive and much less weight in the travel bag. I also have size L Eddy Fins and I can vouch that they are superb quality and expedition grade with heavy duty spring straps. About neutral, maybe very slightly negative. They are an equal to the Go-Sport in all ways and all kicks except for the flutter kick, the Go-Sport flutter kicks better. There is supposedly a Go-Sport Gorilla available now or soon, do not see it in the catalog for the US yet.

The reason, possibly, that the Go-Sport flutter kicks better than the Eddy Fin is the pre-bent and snappy blade, they are very close to the same size, pack about the same, the SP GS is slightly lighter but either are much lighter than the famous Jet Fin for travel.

So then, I will keep the Eddy in rotation, along with the Jet Fins and of course, the Go-Sport.

And to be clear regarding the Eddy and flutter kicking, I said the SP GS is better at that kick, I did not say the Eddy Fin sucks at it, it is entirely passable. It is an excellent all around fin. Both are. And one other factor, both are comfortable but the open toe of the SP GS wins again.

My wife in Quattros:

My wife in SP GS:

Edit to add, Quattros, why would a diver choose them over the above fins? Well, assuming the diver has the muscle to use their advantage (they are longer fins), if you are constantly trying to kick against a strong current, well, yes some may find that useful. I have not found the Eddy or the SP GS particularly limiting regarding current and pushing camera gear at that.

Certain fins are great for specific applications. For example Quattros for OW DMs who often need a burst of speed, have the leg strength to use it, and don't need to worry about packability. Or Jets for those who have to maneuver in tight spaces. But ScubaPro Go Sports are probably the best generalist choice. They provide decent propulsion without requiring big leg strength and are compatible with any kick, a reasonable length for packing, not too pricey, available everywhere, near neutrally bouyant, available in multiple colors, and have a big foot pocket with a long sole plate that works with anything from bare feet to rock boots when sized appropriately.

They have bungee straps. Not quite as bombproof as spring straps, but still much better than conventional flat rubber straps and easy to replace or modify if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom