Analyzing multiple nitrox tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calibration must be done using a gas with a "known" O2 %. We know what the % of O2 is in atmospheric air, however temperature & humidity can alter the reading by as much as 1%. Also the analyzer has an inherent error of somewhere around 1%, so you could be off as much as 2% by using only atmospheric air without compensating for humidity and temperature.

Wave the analyzer around in atmospheric air to get a reading of somewhere around 21%. Then blow air slowly from what you think is a known source (scuba tank with air in it) into the analyzer, if the difference is less than 1% you can be certain that the tank does indeed have only air in it. AS you blow air into it (Flow rate should be 2 liters/minute) set the calibration knob to 20.9%. You can then have a very high degree of confidence that the instrument is calibrated correctly.

As a matter of fact I did that for a year... 2 dives a week, still here to tell the story :D. Occasionally I'd verify the guess. IMO analyzing serves mainly to catch a ****-up, eg it's been pumped on pure O2, or only air when you needed nitrox. Those mistakes will be > 10% off.

Anything that comes within a few % of my expectation is fine with me.

99/100 times, or more, one isn't going to have a problem not analyzing their tanks for O2 %age. In general, I don't think about the times things go well, I think about the times they don't. In other words, the exceptions that prove the rules. If I can establish a practice that takes a few moments to help stack the deck in my favor, I'm going to. Even if I never ended up needling it. Below are a few items I've posted before on ScubaBoard, but I think bear reiterating here:
  • I had an experience where I was on a boat where the captain retrieved the tanks from the shop every morning. The boat HAD an analyzer but it suddenly stopped working. In this particular case, the captain (who I trusted) had analyzed and marked the tanks at the shop that morning - and I knew that all the shops in the area banked 30% - so I went ahead and dove the gas without personally analyzing... but I was not comfortable about the situation and bought an analyzer before my next dive.
  • On another group trip, this time to Indonesia, I insisted on analyzing my Nitrox every day, myself. The US dive leader (a DM!) basically told me I was being silly, the gas came from a bank and it was always 32%. I said, I won't know that if I don't analyze it.
  • Why are the last two stories relevant? They lead to this one. Fast forward a few years, I was analyzing my gas from a shop that also "banks their gas", and my tanks analyzed out at 36%... that day, the shop had been filling directly from the compressor when I got my fills, and someone made a mistake somewhere. The difference between 32% and 36% can be significant if one is planning on spending a fair amount of time at 100' - several of my dives in that cave were in the 2-4 hour range - the results could have disastrous had I not analyzed.
Can one get away without analyzing their gas? Sure, ten, a hundred or two thousand times. But that next time might be a killer.

I always just analyze with air from a tank that has just air in it. I check the meter every day I charge nitrox because as stated temperature and humidity make a difference. I adjust to 21% and tweak backwards until it just changes to 20%. Then I don't check it until the next time I charge. I built my meter from oxygen hackers handbook and get the analyzer element from Maxtec. I replace the element when it starts to take a lot of turns to calibrate usually about 3 to 4 years. I fill about 300 nitrox tanks a year.

Back
Top Bottom