Anchor Almost Dropped on Head - What Would You Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I'm sorry , too many boaters have zero respect for anyone else in THIER waters"

I would have to disagree as I have been a diver and boater for more then thirty years I would have to say that 99% o boaters and divers are some of the best individuals on the planet the 1% are the by far minority and after having said that I will agree that there is some very inexperience boaters out there remember in order to become a boater all you have to do I buy or borrow the boat

I guess you won that one.

Hope your luck holds out, cause the final judge will be that a dumb piece of iron that knocks you unconcious and drowns you under water next time won't care how cool you were by avoiding the basic safety protocols used all over the world.

I would have swum up the anchor line and educated the boater myself. But, your notion that towing a flag is common all over the world is plain wrong. Over here it would not be recognized as any sort of safety device. SMB's are common amongst experienced divers to let your boat know where you will be surfacing, but towing a buoy is unheard of. Applying your quaint customs here might improve your opportunity to get hit by a boat, not diminish it.

If theyre are so many people diving in this place, why don't you agree to take turns and have a dinghie with one diver assuming surface safety? Too simple a solution?:kiss2:

It seems a towed dive flag can really be a blessing... and a curse.

It's a blessing because of the informed boaters whom I would like to believe are in the majority. I own a jet ski, but I am also conscientous enough to keep my distance and not annoy people. I am also one of the few who give boats on the righ the right of way. And I don't operate under the influence.

It's a curse because of the uninformed boaters who are both ignorant and reckless, and who would prefer to use a dive flag as a slalom buoy. Or come up to it to "check it out" or worse yet, take a souviner home with them.

Unfortunately, there are idiots everywhere.

As an Addendum:

3 weeks ago we were out on our boat. Most sites on our East coast that are within reach or day boats, all have fixed moorings so you pull up to the buoy and attache the line to your cleat. if another boat is there you ask permission and then tie off on them. Sometimes if its a commercial they know we'll be down longer so will slip the mooring and let us take it and tie off to us so as not to disturb us, sometimes we'll do the same for them to save the vacation divers having to swim along 2 boats.

Anyway we were moored with divers in the water. We ALWAYS leave at least one buddy pair on board, one of who is a qualified boat handler and stagger the entries. So divers were in the water, we were moored with the required flags. when another boat came up. they insisted that they were dropping an anchor despite lots of shouting from our boat (I was in the water) And they did. Fortunately no one was near the object as it came down.

The people on the other boat were spearfishing - which is illegal here in Scuba gear, so all we did was take lots of pictures ensuring we got the boat registration in the same pics as the spearguns and scuba - recovered divers and left, reporting the to the coast guard and police when we went back to port.

Sometimes stuff happens that you can't control and some people care about noting but themselves.

This happened to me just this last weekend while on a live-a-board in the Channel Islands. I am new to diving with only 31 life time dives. All cold water. At any rate, we were aboard a 70 foot dive vessel with it's diver down flag flying. A while earlier we had noticed a smaller boat coming pretty close to us with divers in the water, then it would take off for a bit and suddenly reappear. It was a boat run by a popular divers supply off of one of the islands. As we were getting ready to suit up for one more dive, our skipper suddenly called a pause and asked for us to wait until all of our divers came aboard. Once a head count was taken he informed us that we were not to get back in the water until this smaller vessel had dropped it's anchor. We waited, got a bite to eat and suited up. They dropped anchor and we watched their divers enter the water. For us, it was the last dive of the trip and myself and my buddy were released by the captain to go back in. As we were looking for our anchor line to start our ascent, we inadvertently overshot it and paused to look for some natural nav spots to help us figure out where we needed to head. I looked down at my compass and suddenly heard a very loud sound above us. We were in relatively shallow waters at this point and it didn't sound like our boat or our boats compressors so we started to descend a bit. Then another noise that was much louder caused us to both stop which in retrospect may not have been a good idea, or may have saved my buddies life. Just as we stopped to determine the sound again, I saw a large boulder/rock flip up and an anchor suddenly pop up and drag its self right next to my buddy, over the reef and up to the surface as an engine screamed. Well... we quickly realized where we were under water and back tracked to our own boat. As we back tracked, we found a group of four divers just seconds from where the anchor was ripped up and their tanks were all marked by the same company. I thought maybe they had been left by their boat. we attempted to get their attention but they seemed like they were on a tour of sorts and had no worries. I was running very low on air and we still had to find the anchor line. We eventually did and once back on the boat we told our crew what had happened and they indicated that AFTER they had their divers in the water and AFTER our captain told them we were in the water, they decided to throw out their stern anchor because apparently they only had a bow anchor set before. That must have been the first loud noise we heard. Our crew said also that they didn't receive any radio communication that they were going to start their engines, maneuver in the water or pull up the anchor after they threw it. So this boat, maneuvered in the water, tossed and pulled up an anchor knowing that there were at least four of it's own divers in the water and two more from another boat. What is even scarier to note is that there WAS a diver down buoy on the water as well. The only thing that we could think of doing when we heard the unfamiliar noises was to get deeper. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but at the start of our trip I remember our captain giving us a long briefing that had a five minute section on a procedure for an emergency maneuvering of the boat while divers where in the water. It involved a recall siren and all divers surfacing for a head count. This smaller vessel didn't seem to do any of that. Just plopped an anchor in and pulled it up with out care to any of the divers. Even their own.

Who was the diver supply company? Did your captain say he would be addressing it with the head person at the offending company or any other attempt at either remedy or prevention?

Who was the diver supply company? Did your captain say he would be addressing it with the head person at the offending company or any other attempt at either remedy or prevention?

the vessels name was Scubacat operated by Catalina Diver's Supply. I'm not sure if the skipper addressed it but I sure as hell Yelped it and haven't heard a single word back from them. Going through their reviews though it seemed par for the course. If Iam not allowed to post company names please edit moderator. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom