And You Rinse it Everytime?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I cannot believe this

I help out at a LDS getting them caught up on thier reg service work. In comes a diver who drops his reg off and asks if he could get it back by a certain date as he is heading out to a tropical local for Christmas. No problem I say, the other regs in for service are caught up and waiting for customer pick up so this should not be long.

So I take the reg bag and head off into the back room to perform annual service. This guy tells me that he is good about rinsing his reg and has no problems to report on its perfromance and this is its first servicing since he owned it. I tell him I'll have it for him by day's end. Great he says and out he goes.

Once in the back room I open the reg bag and all I see is this large coiled up green ball of encrustation, even the mouth piece if you can believe that. I wish I had a picture to show you. The first stage was the size of a baseball with hoses coming out of it, I believe it's a Sherwood, can't tell what model though?

After wrestling to remove the piston and hoses, I drop the entire reg first stage into the ultrasonic cleaner and let it cook. After about 45 minutes (that's a Long time) I remove it and still spend another 30 minutes knocking and picking off more green stuff..and still to come, the two second stages.
Long story short... I finally get finished on what appears to be a Sherwood Maximus Reg first stage shiny and clean, working fine. I tested it using different second stages as release valves as the actual second stages were in the bath.

I do not think that as a service tech, it is my responsibility to clean your reg beyond general maintenance and service, not to this degree. Cleaning is a part of service work to get the reg back to original like appearance, service and performance. I should not be there beating off encrustation

Now here is the good part.

When the guy comes back he can see that I added a extra fee for the extra cleaning required to service his reg. He did not like this extra cost and argued about it. I gently explain that regs need to be rinsed after use. He claimed he does this everytime. Now when he opened the reg bag, the bag itself had green on it around the zipper and we lubed that for him right in front of his eyes, this is common. He looked down at the reg in the bag and stated that was not his reg, his reg was green in colour. I choked down my laughter and said "Yes sir that is why the extra cleaning fee was added". The shop owner collected some of the green encrustation and placed it into a plastic bag and handed it to the owner to show what came off the reg.

The guy test breathed the reg, paid the service fees and left.

During the servicing I replaced two hoses (HP and a LP). Both mouth pieces and the standard service kit parts, including the HP spindle. I was able to clean the piston as there was green on it as well, otherwise that would have been replaced. You get the idea.

Please properly rinse your equipment or be willing to pay the price. Total time of service 3.5 hours, long time for any reg set up.

you were able to clean the piston? I have yet to see a sherwood regulator with a contaminated piston work properly without replacing the piston.Did you check the 1st stage dry bleed valve?Most likely does not work ..Regulator will function for a while without the bubbling from the valve but internally will suffer immediately.

you were able to clean the piston? I have yet to see a sherwood regulator with a contaminated piston work properly without replacing the piston.Did you check the 1st stage dry bleed valve?Most likely does not work ..Regulator will function for a while without the bubbling from the valve but internally will suffer immediately.

In truth, Piston was not all that bad, Dry Air Bleed worked fine for the reassembly test. Dry Air Bleed valve was also replaced.

Not convinced i'd be happy with an extra fee for spending longer in a cleaner. I pay for a service normally includes a service kit and a shop fee - the only addition generally is for extra parts to be replaced if needed. Not been anywhere yet though that didn't initially inspect the reg condition before the customer leaves the shop.

If its in a bad its possible it was rinsed but the reg bag wasn't so left to fester in there caused corrosion.

Wow!!

Now here is finally a gear review that tells us something! Of course, only anecdotal evidence, but it does make me wonder why I shelled out the money for an expensive Atomics Reg if Sherwood holds up like this.

Not convinced i'd be happy with an extra fee for spending longer in a cleaner. I pay for a service normally includes a service kit and a shop fee - the only addition generally is for extra parts to be replaced if needed. Not been anywhere yet though that didn't initially inspect the reg condition before the customer leaves the shop.

If its in a bad its possible it was rinsed but the reg bag wasn't so left to fester in there caused corrosion.
I doubt you bring your regs in looking like that. Did you miss the part where the customer thought his reg was supposed to be green? That isn't a normal reg service. An extra fee is certainly warranted.

People who don't value their life support systems including their reg should not be diving in the first place. Another example of a dumb diver. Yeah...right, rinsing the regulator everytime...with salt water.

Phil (bisugo767)

I cannot believe this

I help out at a LDS getting them caught up on thier reg service work. In comes a diver who drops his reg off and asks if he could get it back by a certain date as he is heading out to a tropical local for Christmas. No problem I say, the other regs in for service are caught up and waiting for customer pick up so this should not be long.

So I take the reg bag and head off into the back room to perform annual service. This guy tells me that he is good about rinsing his reg and has no problems to report on its perfromance and this is its first servicing since he owned it. I tell him I'll have it for him by day's end. Great he says and out he goes.

Once in the back room I open the reg bag and all I see is this large coiled up green ball of encrustation, even the mouth piece if you can believe that. I wish I had a picture to show you. The first stage was the size of a baseball with hoses coming out of it, I believe it's a Sherwood, can't tell what model though?

After wrestling to remove the piston and hoses, I drop the entire reg first stage into the ultrasonic cleaner and let it cook. After about 45 minutes (that's a Long time) I remove it and still spend another 30 minutes knocking and picking off more green stuff..and still to come, the two second stages.
Long story short... I finally get finished on what appears to be a Sherwood Maximus Reg first stage shiny and clean, working fine. I tested it using different second stages as release valves as the actual second stages were in the bath.

I do not think that as a service tech, it is my responsibility to clean your reg beyond general maintenance and service, not to this degree. Cleaning is a part of service work to get the reg back to original like appearance, service and performance. I should not be there beating off encrustation

Now here is the good part.

When the guy comes back he can see that I added a extra fee for the extra cleaning required to service his reg. He did not like this extra cost and argued about it. I gently explain that regs need to be rinsed after use. He claimed he does this everytime. Now when he opened the reg bag, the bag itself had green on it around the zipper and we lubed that for him right in front of his eyes, this is common. He looked down at the reg in the bag and stated that was not his reg, his reg was green in colour. I choked down my laughter and said "Yes sir that is why the extra cleaning fee was added". The shop owner collected some of the green encrustation and placed it into a plastic bag and handed it to the owner to show what came off the reg.

The guy test breathed the reg, paid the service fees and left.

During the servicing I replaced two hoses (HP and a LP). Both mouth pieces and the standard service kit parts, including the HP spindle. I was able to clean the piston as there was green on it as well, otherwise that would have been replaced. You get the idea.

Please properly rinse your equipment or be willing to pay the price. Total time of service 3.5 hours, long time for any reg set up.

I doubt you bring your regs in looking like that. Did you miss the part where the customer thought his reg was supposed to be green? That isn't a normal reg service. An extra fee is certainly warranted.

Disagree with that and depending on the terms here there'd be a case for legal action. I get a price breakdown of what i expect to pay and agree extras in the form of extra parts etc before i submit my regulator to them. So his reg was green - was there specifically mentioned an extra charge for longer in the ultrasound? If not you shouldnt add one on.
Having agreed all that i'd be extremely pissed off if someone started randomly adding on extras above what was agreed.
Surprised nobody give them a brief glance before the customer left as ive not seen anywhere here that doesn't do that first.

Good post GDI. I rinse my gear in fresh water at the end of every dive day. I cannot count the number of days I have been drop dead tired but still washed my gear. I have this same reg as a backup now (was my primary for ~8 years) and love it. I can understand the need to charge a little extra - esp if this was his first servicing... Hopefully he learned to get it serviced a little more frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom