Andaman Sea Christmas 2012 & New Year 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hogge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
after staying in Au Nang 2 years ago we plan to come back to this area.
This time we don't want to stay in Au Nang.

We would like to stay in a nice resort (as we are are family of 5 with 2 divers).
Any recommendations?

Koh Lanta, Phuket; Koh Yao Noi or somewhere else?

What can we expect from the diving during this time?
Any resort recommendations?
Any dive center recommendations?

Regards
Hogge

What do your non-divers like to do? If they want to chill on a beach, then Lanta is a great family destination; but if they are, for example, golfers, they might like a different place where they can do what interests them while the divers are off doing their own thing. IOW, we need a fuller background in order to make recommendations.

Hey Hogge,

I am not sure if there is any dive operation on Kho Yai Noi but maybe somebody else within this forum knows something.

For Phuket I can recomment the two resorts Le Meridien and Kata Thani, both are great resort especially for kids, with private beach and snorkling option directly from the beach. In both resorts is also a dive school, which can help you with your diving.

For Ko Lanta I can recomment the dive center of Ko Lanta Diving Center. I am sure Christian and his staff is also able to help you with finding the perfect accommandation.

Have a great trip

Hey Hogge,

I am not sure if there is any dive operation on Kho Yai Noi but maybe somebody else within this forum knows something.
AFAIK, there is only one, and they use a speedboat. I'm not sure that the customer base is made up of "serious" divers, so the OP may find himself with an inexperienced group, but perhaps that's perfect if it's just a little diving in benign conditions that is wanted.

Hi, the rest of the family would be chilling at the beach / pool and enjoying the sun.
I have checked the Koh Yoi Noi and they only have a speedboat, which can be ok, but I think that a more dedicated dive center with more customers could suite us better.

My mother in law will join us and she has problems in walking, so the resort should be suitable for her.

We have looked into Koh Lanta, Phuket & Krabi.

Any pro/con for following resorts:

THE WESTIN SIRAY BAY RESORT
Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort
Andara Resort and Villas
Six Senses Yao Noi
The Pimalai

Please give us recommendation for other resorts with good accommodation, beach, pool and dive center.

@Quero: Which islands can you recommend for the diving for us, been to PHI PHI and around there.

@Quero: Which islands can you recommend for the diving for us, been to PHI PHI and around there.
If you've been to Phi Phi and feel like something different, you really should take a good look at Koh Lanta. There are excellent dive sites near there, including Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, and Lanta is the nearest major dive-friendly island with access to those dive sites. And for easier dives that are great snorkeling opportunities for the non-divers, you could go to Koh Haa from Lanta. With everything you've said, it seems to me that Lanta offers the best of everything for your group. If I were you, since your mother has mobility issues and you have quite a few in your group, I'd rent a car at Krabi airport and self-drive to and from Lanta so that you have a vehicle on the island for going out for dinner and doing a little exploring.

Pimalai is a lovely resort, but it's in a hilly place and I wouldn't recommend it for somebody who is mobility impaired. I know a more easily accessible one on Lanta, if you're interested (just shoot me a PM since I don't make public recommendations of this sort).

The Westin Siray is another lovely resort, but it's on a hillside. It might be a lot of bother with a mobility impairment. Andara is also on a hillside--so more climbing up and down... same with Six Senses. My mother is mobility impaired--she walks, she's not in a chair, but I know that climbing up and down steps in walkways between guestrooms and public areas frequently would be an issue for her, so that's my yardstick. Maybe your mum-in-law gets around a little better, but anything hilly or walk up multi-story or boat access would be super hard for my mom.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom