Anemia and Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The earlier replies nicely summarize the main determinants of metabolism (rate of oxygen consumption and/orCO2 production)= effort+ basal metabolism+ temperature regulation.

From the fact that it is worsening, it probably partially relates to peer pressure producing a low-grade anxiety.

Humans have performance anxiety about other things than the obvious one discussed on HBO, and accelerated breathing rate is a universal response to the heightened alertness that goes with it.
Your letter alludes to feeling stressed and shunned by the air consumption issue, and that sort of thing is guaranteed to increase performance anxiety.

Anemia will increase breathing rate, but does so as a relatively linear proportion over most degrees of anemia. You're roughly ten percent lower than average Hemoglobin, and would be expected to breathe about ten percent faster based on that.
That's a factor, but not a big one.

The best way to get past performance anxiety is to practice in a low-stress situation, and when you catch yourself worrying about your consumption, switch your attention calmly to another subject.

You may want to try a pool dive or other shallow dive with some distracting task to do. Let your buddy watch your air and the time, but don't ask him/her, just let him keep an eye on your computer and watch. That way you can dive without any reference to time or air and can focus on just diving and the task.. This will let you shift some of your attention away from air consumption and back to the best parts of diving.
Naturally, do this with an understanding and trusted buddy.

Others on the board may be able to share ways that they got past the "air-consumption-anxiety demon" and get back to the best of diving.

It's a common problem with new divers, but can affect anyone.

Good luck. Diving's great even when you're stressed, but it's much better relaxed.

John Reinertson

Since you have all been so kind to provide me with some suggestions concerning air consumption, I thought I would let you know how things went this past weekend during my quarry trip. My boyfriend, who is a DM was observing me and he thinks that I am breathing too forcefully rather than too fast, which is probably true. When I stopped to think about it I noticed that it is hard for me to breath through my mouth in general (boy am I a mess when I have a cold :D ). When I breath through a regulator it is more like gasping in and coughing out - but not because I am panicked - I do that even when on dry land. He told me to try sipping the air but that made me swallow a lot of the air and then I was burping through the remainder of the dive.

I have noticed a few other things. I do tend to be a "slower" diver. Just as I am floating along, nice and relaxed, I look up to see my buddy up ahead motioning for me to come on and catch up. I suppose I am expending a lot of energy hurrying to catch people.

I'll let you know if any improvements are made.
Thanks again!

hm...

Ok-2 things-

1) I think that you should buy a regulateor that can deliver more air (something like the mares Abys) fast, should be balanced with good capabilitys.

2) Dont hurry! let THEM wait!!!

:wink:

Hope you enjoy many more great dives!!!

The regulator may be an important component in all of this. As I mentioned earlier, my air consumption was reasonable when I first started diving and I was renting my regulators. I didn't pick the regulator that I own for any particular reason - it was the choice of the owner of my LDS. Before I start shopping around I think I will rent a few more regs and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the insight.
I'll tell my boyfriend he will just have to wait :wink:

You might also try a full face mask that will allow you to breath through both your mouth and nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom