Angelita Cenote update.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my first cavern dives last December, but I don't know anything about Angelita - where is it and how does it compare to my favourite dives in Grand Cenote and Dos Ojos.

It is south of Tulum. Definitely good to take a guide as (at least when i did it last), one had to get the key from a house in Tulum, and guides can help you in/out of the water (the exit is quite steep)

It's not a cavern, but a huge "sinkhole" 200 feet deep, with a pile of "detritus/trees" in the middle, that starts at maybe 80 feet deep ?

around 90-110 feet is a big layer of hydrogen-sulphide-like material that gives a ghostly look to the place, and great fun can be had sinking into it and back out as you swim. There is, however, a smell of rotten eggs even through your mask. Some people say the layer can blacken some regs but I dont think thats an issue in my experience.

The key situation may have changed since I dived it last though as i heard the owner was planning to live on the cenote-land

yes a really awesome experience

It is south of Tulum. Definitely good to take a guide as (at least when i did it last), one had to get the key from a house in Tulum, and guides can help you in/out of the water (the exit is quite steep)

It's not a cavern, but a huge "sinkhole" 200 feet deep, with a pile of "detritus/trees" in the middle, that starts at maybe 80 feet deep ?

around 90-110 feet is a big layer of hydrogen-sulphide-like material that gives a ghostly look to the place, and great fun can be had sinking into it and back out as you swim. There is, however, a smell of rotten eggs even through your mask. Some people say the layer can blacken some regs but I dont think thats an issue in my experience.

The key situation may have changed since I dived it last though as i heard the owner was planning to live on the cenote-land

When we dove it a year or so ago, we went into Tulum to find the owner, and were instructed to go directly to the site, and there is an attendant on duty there now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom