Anilao end of May - June 2010; info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider Planet Dive, I go there almost every weekend and value for money can't be beaten. Rooms with aircon 2,800 to 5,000 depending on size, no aircon 2,000. Boat dives average range depending of number per day from 650 up with DM, tanks, weight. Nice wooden deck with fantastic view of sea. Meals average 350. I met a Polish diver who came all the way from home country just to dive Planet Dive from mere referral and quite happy yesterday. No harm in trying : : Planet Dive : :

hey Prandy. Dove with seariders last easter and they were expecting you. too bad didnt get to meet you.

ah yes, we'll meet up one of these days. My wife had to undergo gallbladder surgery so budget for Holy Week dive trip got diverted. thanks.

Hi Winsu, I just got back from a trip to Anilao a couple of weeks ago and though I'd share my experience. My girlfriend and I stayed at Crystal Blue and had a good time there. My overall impression of Crystal Blue was good. The staff were all top-notch and were always looking after us, even giving us ice packs and aloe verde when we got sunburned after an island hopping trip. The food at the restaruant was great and we were never hungry. Meal time is also extended in the case of a long diving trip. The only complaints we had were the room was a bit small and the bathroom a little dirty and outdated. Not bad, but since we were paying the overexpensive tourist price of $115US/night, I guess we expected the bathroom to be a little bit nicer. After reading Jigo's description of two queen beds and a large bathroom, I'm wondering if we stayed at the same place?

The diving was great and Elmer, our divemaster was very organized with exception to the time that he bought expired dead batteries for his torch!:D Diving definitely didn't dissapoint! We saw an assortment of octopus, squid, crabs, flatworms, seahorses, cuttlefish, devilfish, frogfish, cowries, ribbon eels, harlequin shrimp, and a ton of nudis! I think I saw pretty much everything I wanted to see, except for a shaded batfish.

I think that a lot of the details have already been covered in other threads, but I can confirm some of them here:

- Anilao is very quiet. The resorts are spread around the penninsula and you will most likely spend all your time at the resort. Definitely no shopping.
- For your family, I would definitely hire the private van for transfer. We went by bus/jeepney/tricycle from Manila and it took a long time and was a hassle with large bags of dive gear.
- At Crystal Blue, activity options you have after dark are limited to karaoke and movies. Movie selection is limited, so bring your own and any other games, books, entertainment, etc. with you.
- At CB, it is exactly 100 stairs from the beach to the top rooms. If you forget things as much as me, mask, camera, computer, etc, you will have legs of steel by the end of the trip. That great view from the balcony comes at a price.

The weather was hot and sunny almost every day with the exception of one short 30 minute rainstorm. Water temps were around 28C the whole trip. No matter where you end up choosing to stay, I'm sure the diving will be excellent! Have a great trip!

Hi. sorry you were disappointed with the rooms. they really are great by anilao standards although some places like eagle point are nicer but more expensive. although i have to wince at the tourist rate you were charged. you didnt have two beds in your room? i was there last may 1 and found that they took out the tub in our regular room due to something about the tub not being strong enough for two divers:confused:

DJ,
Thanks .. we can't wait another 8 days to come.
So far everything okay - we've decided to stay and dive with Arthur Place; they will also arrange transportation from/to Manila.
Quiet place with excelent diving is what we looking for; though we'll spend 2 nights at Makati to please my bosses desire of shopping. We'll bring lot of book - just received from Amazon the 500 pages Martin Edge book - 4th edition of UW photographer.
Not sure about internet connection at Anilao - nice to have; even nicer if not available as I will have an excuse not to response e-mail from my office.

DJ,
Thanks .. we can't wait another 8 days to come.
So far everything okay - we've decided to stay and dive with Arthur Place; they will also arrange transportation from/to Manila.
Quiet place with excelent diving is what we looking for; though we'll spend 2 nights at Makati to please my bosses desire of shopping. We'll bring lot of book - just received from Amazon the 500 pages Martin Edge book - 4th edition of UW photographer.
Not sure about internet connection at Anilao - nice to have; even nicer if not available as I will have an excuse not to response e-mail from my office.

Good luck on your trip! Insist on a dive spotter rather than just a divemaster who is there for the dive. Post your pictures when you can.

Yeah, the foom was really small, one double bed and you had to a sidestep on the side close to the wall. Not too big of a deal, but like I said before it just didn't seem right for the price. If we were paying less we wouldn't have even thought about it.

Just spent 5 days at Planet Dive end of May. It was spectacular! My second time this year. I saw so much marine life so close to shore that it is very excellent. I think I could just go back here for a few years and still find new things. My goal was finding EASY world class diving and I found it. We went Sunday when there was weekenders from Manila then stayed all week. Not many other divers there so we had a run of the place. On Friday went back to Manila for some big city fun for the weekend.

Great dives at 15-40 feet. I cannot say how much I like Anilao and Planet Dive in particular. They have professional service and equipment. It is steep there and not much to do, so bring a camera and take a few pics and then enjoy them at night in the patio. Food was good. I went initially in Feb and it was great also. The water was a bit cooler and tons of jellyfish. I asked divemaster Joey what the best time of year and he said May (and many others too) because still not wet season, but water was warm. Very comfortable diving.

Saw every creature I could dream of seeing, and many more I never even thought about.

Hope you and your family had a great time at Arthur's! How did you like Arthur's?

I'll be in the area early June 2011 with my daughter - not sure where we're staying yet. Looks like we might try Eagle Point so there will be a few other things for the non-diving family members (and my daughter if she tires of dives) to do once they join us. We stayed at Aquaventure a couple years ago and had some great diving. My wife and sister-in-law only joined us for a couple days at the end of our stay; both non-divers so they were not having as much fun there as I was. Hopefully they will enjoy the swimming pool, billiards, etc.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom