Ankle Weights and Surface Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would try putting a little air in your drysuit in order to lean farther back on the surface. I will often close the exhaust valve on my drysuit so I'm not going face down. Steel tanks help too.

I've never needed ankle weights in a drysuit. I use my BC for buoyancy, which lets me keep the roving air bubble out of my suit. If my feet get floaty, I can go feet down for a few seconds to get the air up to my arms and vent it out of the suit. Then when I get back to horizontal trim, I'm level. I like enough air in my feet to let me move my toes but no more.

Tom

Actually I wear several sets of ankle weights in my dry suit. Of course they're all on my tank though. Personally I like a little air in my feet to help with my trim maintaining my feet off the bottom.

I don't wear ankle weights, but my husband has pointed out (pointedly) that I do wear Jet fins with spring straps, which are a couple of pounds negative. Feet weights, they are :)

Mark Duddridge:
So far, I've been using ankle weights, but I've seen a few posts on SB that suggest many people feel ankle weights are not necessary and are just a "band-aid" to improper trim technique.
TsandM:
I don't wear ankle weights, but my husband has pointed out (pointedly) that I do wear Jet fins with spring straps, which are a couple of pounds negative.
As the responses indicate there are a number of solutions to the problem of feeling ‘foot light’ in a drysuit. Some find the problem more pronounced in drysuits with integrated boots, and migrate to the neoprene socks and overboots, whether they be ‘true’ drysuit boots (e.g. Rockboots) or something as simple as Chuck Taylors. If you are using integrated boots, possibilities include heavier fins (Jets are very popular), gaiters on your lower legs, or ankle weights. I tried ankle weights at first (I have integrated boots), and ultimately ended up with a combination of Jet fins (with steel spring straps) and gaiters. Some find ankle weights to work best (e.g. almitywife), while others don’t seem to care for them. Another possibility is to consider tank type, length and position, as several have suggested. If you are using an AL tank, a steel tank may be an option to consider, particularly a longer tank (e.g. a HP 120) if you are tall. It may be a matter of controlled trial and error to find what works best for you. In addition, your leg and foot position may make a difference, and some find that drawing their legs in a little (bending a bit at the waist) to help, even if it isn't as streamlined as might otherwise be desirable.
Mark Duddridge:
I have trouble at the surface with my BCD pushing me too far forward. … I'm diving a Sherwood Axis (rear-inflate/weight integrated).
RJP:
Sherwood site says Axis has "rear-mounted trim weight pockets." Where are the "shoulder pockets" you mention in the original post - front or back?
I wondered the same thing as RJP, specifically about how high the rear trim weights might be. When I started diving a drysuit I was using a Zeagle Ranger, and felt a sensation of my face being pushed forward into the water. Ultimately, I concluded the problem was a combination of being rather significantly over-weighted, and the mechanics of a back-inflate, weight-integrated BC. I was over-weighted because of 1) general lack of diving experience (I had less than 50 dives at the time), 2) inexperience with the drysuit, and 3) the relatively positive buoyancy characteristics of the Ranger. So, at the surface, I would add air which would go to the very top of the bladder, and I had a lot of (aka too much) weight in the integrated pouches (which naturally migrated to a position of equilibrium directly below the point of maximum lift, and I consequently rotated face forward. The fact that I was over-weighted caused me to add even more air at the surface, which exaggerated the problem. I switched to a SS backplate and that made a considerable difference. With the drysuit, BP, and a single HP120 I may need 10-12 lbs, whereas before I was using 26+.
I suspect you may find the problems improve to an extent over time, even without any equipment changes. For example, it is all too easy to enter the water with some residual air in the drysuit, have trouble initially descending, add some weight which contributes to general overweighting, find you need to add air to the suit at depth, which ends up in your feet and makes you feel you need ankle weights, or find you need to add more air at the surface, which creates the face-forward rotation, etc. Most people who move to a drysuit have similar experiences, and their technique, and trim, improves over time. But, there may be some equipment adjustments (type of BC, type of tank, etc.) that help.

Last edited:
Experience, positioning of the weights, and being overweight. I concur with all of those, that was my case as well.

I currently dive 7mm farmer john wet suit, in the cold water (Seattle), am a big guy, and relatively inexperienced. Weights all over the damned place to get me down, and then my trim and buoyancy were always a mess underwater. Was wearing a weight belt high around my chest as if were on my waist would slide right down and off (picture an egg with a belt and you see me). Additionally had weights in the pockets of the BC, front and back, and at first clip=on weights as well.

One "solution" was to distribute weights from the pockets to ankle weights. Worked GREAT!!! for my trim underwater. Just had to distribute the weights all over since I was always slightly head down when underwater due to the location of the weight belt that I was wearing so high (remember the egg with a belt image). So there I was overwieghted, but good on my trim.

Then somebody pointed out that I wasn't being too safe. Since the weight belt was up high around my chest, the BCD was over it and would prevent the weights from being ditched / released in an emergency. Sure it was obvious...but I never thought about it.

Then came the DUI Weight and Trim Harness. I think I heard the angels singing when I first tried it on!! The Harness solved many problems. It allowed me to position the weights lower down on my body and subsequently allowed me to shed the ankle weights, and a few others as well. (Remember the egg image, now with a harness instead).

Another $100 for the harness and a little extra for weights off of Craigslist and I my problem was "solved".

In a nutshell; experience, positioning of existing weights, and proper equipment all made the difference. I know I was diving wet and not dry, but I think the lessons still apply though.

Have a good one.

Patrick.

Oh yeah, something else I forgot...

I was diving 7mm wetsuit w/ jacket style BC, all rental equipment so it was also ALWAYS a new dive configuring the gear...and that really was annoying.

So, I have decided to upgrade to drysuit and BP / Wing rig. The "trial and error" will happen all over again, but should be pretty painless using the experience I have gained w/ so much practice on weight distribution / equipment and from learning what I have read on the different threads on here regarding drysuits, BC's, buoyancy, weights, etc...

Lots of good info and experience to draw from here.

Have a good one.

Patrick.

EDIT: Sherwood site says Axis has "rear-mounted trim weight pockets." Where are the "shoulder pockets" you mention in the original post - front or back? When you said "shoulder" I was picturing something mounted to the front of your shoulders.

Yes... I should have described that better. I took a look last night to clarify, and the trim weight pouches are positioned on my back halfway between my waist and my shoulders.

From reading your great responses, it sounds like my problem is a combination of too much positive buoyancy on my back (rear-inflate BCD + aluminum 80 tank) and too much negative buoyancy on my front/side (20 pounds of lead). Since I can't afford to throw all of my aluminum tanks out and replace them with steel tanks, I'll try the following to solve the problem.

1. Do a proper weight check to make sure I'm not wearing too much lead.
2. Put as much weight in my back trim pockets as possible.
3. Position my tank a little bit higher on my back.

I'll also see if I can get my instructor to work with me on this when I do my Peak Performance Buoyancy dive this weekend for my AOW

Thanks for all your great responses, everybody!

Most of the drysuit divers in this area use ankle weights. If you need them, there's nothing wrong with them. But, I've yet to see a situation where they were actually necessary.

The LDS also sells a LOT of yellow twin jets. They are positively buoyant, so you don't have all that weight, you see. They buy the light fins, then buy ankle weights to counter the buoyancy. Makes perfect sense, right?:confused:

The LDS also sells a LOT of yellow twin jets. They are positively buoyant, so you don't have all that weight, you see. They buy the light fins, then buy ankle weights to counter the buoyancy. Makes perfect sense, right?:confused:

The yellow twin-jets are only very slightly positive. It takes them almost 30 seconds to wander up from only a few feet underwater if you take one off. I'd guess they're way less an an ounce positive.

On a positive note, I can't tell you how many boat captains have said they could see the fins from the surface, which is helpful if you're on a drift dive.

Terry

True, but that makes them about two pounds+ a few ounces more buoyant than Jets.

They're kinda nice in low vis for trailing divers, too. But, for being seen, nothing beats the 21W HID....... Except the 35W HID.

Back
Top Bottom