Ankles are killing me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problem. I then tried Force Fins on the recommendation of my OW instructor and the pain went away and hasn't returned.

I assume your taking about riding a road bike right? All I have is a mountain bike.

Well seeing how I own a RECUMBENT cycle shop I’d say neither. :D Either one would be fine. It’s a low impact exercise that will work on overall conditioning including your legs and ankles. A mountain bike will work just fine. Just slower and with more effort which makes for a good workout. Just start out slow and don’t stress the ankles. If you start feeling discomfort back off a bit.

It won’t take long and you should be able to get them built up.

I just built myself a recumbent hand trike to get the strength built back up in my arm. Right now there isn’t much left in it but the cycle should build it up a lot faster than anything else. As of yesterday my grip was only 6 pounds.

Gary D.

Wow, I wasn't aware that you could frog kick with fins on...I will give that a try.

and to answer your question I am sore in the area between my achellis heel and ankle joint.

Wow, I wasn't aware that you could frog kick with fins on...I will give that a try.

and to answer your question I am sore in the area between my achellis heel and ankle joint.

You might want to cut or paste a picture of the anatomy of the ankle. That could be pretty broad. But if it is at the point of attachment of the archilles tendon, then it could be heel pain, archilles bursitis, or archilles tendonitis. You could leave a message at your doctor to give you a more specific diagnosis.... You could say that you want to read more about it.

Without a specific diagnosis, you can not decide on what is the best physical therapy or strenghthening exercise for it. The frog kick might or might not help, depending on where the problem is. I guess you just have to try and see. There are many videos of it on Utube, and also links on scubaboard if you do a search for it.

Loosen your fin straps.

So, I have been doing pool sessions through my school for about 12 weeks now and out OW cert dives are coming up. Recently, after every pool session my ankle has been soar to the point of not wanting to put pressure on it the next day. It usually goes away after two days or so but I have decided to go to the doctor anyways just to be safe.

Has anyone had ankle troubles with fins before?? How did you solve the problem?

Are you doing it through WSU? If so, Barry Moore is a great teacher. I graduated from WSU in 2006 and did his class in Spring of 2006 and followed it up with his open water check out in Hood Canal. PM me if you have any questions about his process. Welcome to diving!

Before you rush out to the store to buy new fins, how are you kicking? Your legs should not be bending at the knee. You need to make sure to use long powerful kicks, most movement coming from you hips, that way you use the power of your whole leg, as compared to just your lower leg and ankle. When I find my ankles hurting I can usually correct it by making sure to kick using my whole leg, and as someone else mentioned I throw in the occasional frog kick.

You might want to cut or paste a picture of the anatomy of the ankle. That could be pretty broad. But if it is at the point of attachment of the archilles tendon, then it could be heel pain, archilles bursitis, or archilles tendonitis. You could leave a message at your doctor to give you a more specific diagnosis.... You could say that you want to read more about it.

Without a specific diagnosis, you can not decide on what is the best physical therapy or strenghthening exercise for it. The frog kick might or might not help, depending on where the problem is. I guess you just have to try and see. There are many videos of it on Utube, and also links on scubaboard if you do a search for it.

Alright so here is my ankle anatomy picture with the areas of pain circled in black. The lateral view is where the majority of the pain is and what is causing me to wince when I walk, but it also hurts on the top of my foot which is why I think it is related to my kick. I am going to have my instructor check out my kick in the pool on monday.

As I'm not a doctor, instructor, or anything like that I can't tell you 100% what's wrong, but pain in that area could definitely be from improper kicking. Every once in a while I catch myself getting lazy about my kicking and my ankles start hurting in that same general area you indicated. Once again, I'm not positive, but that may be your problem. That's a good idea to have your instructor look at you kicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom