Annoying divers tagging along

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Bouwman

Contributor
Reaction score
Lynden Washington, 1/2 hour north of Bellingham
# of dives
50 - 99
How many of you have the same thing that I do? Whenever I go out shore diving on a day that is fairly busy, I go in solo, but then a bunch of newbies decide that I would be a good tour guide and follow me around? This happens especially on my second dive of the day if I've been talking to the other divers about what I have seen. Most of them don't dive my favorite site as often as I do and want me to show them everything. Any good ideas on how to get rid of these people after you have showed them a couple of things. Sometimes I just go hang out in really heavy current where most people aren't comfortable so that they will leave me alone, but that is kind of a pain too.

I just descend to 180-200 ft and they disappear.

Seriously, it is often a problem for me (although I will also welcome other divers at times). The biggest problem is many divers (from newbies to "experts") aren't really aware of how they should position themselves relative to currents to avoid kicking up debris that enters my shot. If they asak topside, I explain why I dive solo... or on occasion invite them to join me (especially if they are attractive!).

JimLap:
Stop bragging about what you have seen until after you're done for the day. Otherwise it sounds like an open invite to me.

For us spearo's we can't keep them from looking inside the diveboat's cooler. After the 1st dive, they come up skunked and our bags are full of bugs, they try to splash with us on the 2nd dive. I'll always point out the first bug we come up on and let that buddy team work on it together first. They can stay as a team, but I'm normally gone, and I'll find other bugs.

Lots of people want to be the first to get off the boat. I try to be almost last and then turn from the rest of the group. One common habit of spearos and photogs is neither of them can stay with the DM.

I also wouldn't say a photog was bragging when s/he gets a great photo and posts it up, anymore than a solo spearo who has a good day and post his results also.

DSC01551.jpg

How about a little chocolate milk thru the P-valve?:11:

Just come dive lake travis. One small kick and they can't see you anymore :) Bad vis does have its advantages......

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom