Annual Lion Fish Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last Sunday saw the annual Lion Fish Tournament/Hunt in Cozumel which is sponsored by the Marine Park and others. The winning team hauled in over 300 Lion Fish and all in all, 713 lbs of lion fish were collected...and most all were eaten. Tasty!

Sorry Sal...but don't worry, there are surely some left for you!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

And actually - they skipped 2011! The last official one (prior to this one) was October 2010!

This is good news! However, perhaps at least a quarterly hunt would be better !

Dave,
I have absolutely no doubt that there are many, many more lionfish. My worries follow more along the lines that there are plenty...

Glad to hear 1100 or so left the reef.

Dave,
I have absolutely no doubt that there are many, many more lionfish. My worries follow more along the lines that there are plenty...
No doubt. There are many, many places on the reef where divers do not and/or cannot go where lionfish can live and breed. Still, clearing out the ones we can get to can control their numbers somewhat in those areas, although we'll have to keep doing that in perpetuity or they will come right back.

It is lucky that a species which is such a pest is also such good eating, though. I wish we could eat fire ants... :D

I know. I know...
Just had to give Dave's poke a shout out.

Had lion fish for the first time the other night. VERY good!! Right up there with the Hawaiian Ono!

Back
Top Bottom