Annual Reg Service For Apeks Tek3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukemil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How long should the turn-around time be to do the annual service on a set of Apeks Tek3 doubles regulators? What is a reasonable price?

Thanks for any info.

shouldn't matter what they are, it all depends on the shop and how busy they are. Keep in mind that many shops will send their regulators out, which is just annoying, or they only have one guy that does them and if it's a busy time of year they may be backed up. Right now many are getting their gear serviced before the start of the dive season so it would not surprise me if it was 2-4 weeks to get regs turned around.

2- 4 weeks is reasonable for a busy shop. I work a full time job, on top of repair work & instruction. In our shop Public safety diving equipment gets priority, then everyone else on a first come, first service basis. The good thing is most public safety equipment comes in during the winter months (slow time). Our shop charges about $80/ reg set (1st stage & 2 second stages) + parts, if not covered by warranty. We change all O-rings, completely disassemble the regs, clean them, replace all parts in the kits & troubleshoot & repair any equipment that is not in acceptable shape (after calling the owner with an estimate), reassemble the regs, test them to factory specs.

It should take about an hour of labor to service a regulator. Two is not unreasonable. How long would you expect to wait for a brake job on your car. Unfortunately, very few shops are set up to get right to it. Therein is the wait time.

It should take about an hour of labor to service a regulator. Two is not unreasonable. How long would you expect to wait for a brake job on your car. Unfortunately, very few shops are set up to get right to it. Therein is the wait time.
Takes me about 3 hrs to complete a regulator service on average. I would rather take my time & get it correct, than to get in a hurry & not get it right. On top of constantly being pulled away to fill cylinders, teach a Nitrox or computer course, on the run, answer questions about classes or equipment, get pulled away to sell equipment.

awap:
Unfortunately, very few shops are set up to get right to it.
On top of constantly being pulled away to fill cylinders, teach a Nitrox or computer course, on the run, answer questions about classes or equipment, get pulled away to sell equipment.
I think you just provided ample support for awap's point - it doesn't sound like your shop has created an environment to which the phrase, 'get it right' could be reasonably applied. If you are trying to service a reg, while being 'constantly pulled away', you are working in a potentially dangerous situation - not a personal criticism, rather an observation on the environment in which you apparently are forced to work. Would it be better to service regs 'after hours', and a) not be interrupted and b) possibly spend less than 3 hours on a reg set because your time is properly focused?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom