Annual trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We leave in 2 weeks for Cozumel. We typically go twice each winter, and then a make a third trip to a location we have not been before. I have read about the bleaching and am hoping the reefs will recover now that water temps seem to be moderating. We will be diving with Scuba Luis and staying at Grand Park Royal.

Anything new or different with customs arrivals? I will be bringing my camera gear and have never had trouble in the past but every now and then you hear rumors of a camera tax. Anything changed since April? Looking forward to more great diving and hopefully healthy reefs.

5 weeks for us.

What is the situation with customs forms. We flew into CUN last year and didn't get one and it turns out we didn't need one. Is CZM the same?

I don't know if it's been addressed in the forum but there is a bit of a surprise at the airport since February. The area from where you grab your bags and head to the green/red button all the way until you are outside is a different layout now.

Once you get your passport stamped (no forms on the airplane with United) they will walk you past the dog, give you a card, then you will get your bag, go to the button and xray the bag. I had the dog alert about a bag of almonds so I had to visit the desk which is now on the far wall past the xray devices, and have them inspect my backpack.

Once you go through the doors, the layout in the exit lobby is all different and the Cozumel shuttle is NOT where it used to be. It was disorienting at first but I looked for the large rate sign at the back of the kiosk for the shared van and was able to find it. It might have been the wrong one because I remember the trip to Blue Angel being less than $10us and this time it was $16. Outside the vans are in a different spot as well so look for the guy holding the sign that is the same as the place you bought the tickets, or show someone outside your ticket and they should show you where to find the van.

5 weeks for us.

What is the situation with customs forms. We flew into CUN last year and didn't get one and it turns out we didn't need one. Is CZM the same?
Customs or Immigration? The last time I went to Cozumel, the Immigration form was not used but the Customs one was.

I was there 3 weeks ago. The bleached reef is substantial and prolific and it won't self repair any time soon. Plan on doing other things than diving. As a diver from the West Coast, it's not worth the trip anymore.

Just got back yesterday. The worst bleaching - IMO - was in the areas where there was more hard coral. Palancar has been hit hard. The tops of the hard coral are very white. But the dives on Tikila (shallow, with lots of soft coral) look pretty good. The water temp at Palancar two days ago was 83, so it's coming down. Palancar Bricks and Tikila. I know there's not a lot of light on the Bricks photo, but it'll give you the idea of how white it is in places - some places are worse.

2B1E0019-35DA-4FB8-A34F-8FE9E65A6320.jpeg
FD267656-1765-41B8-9942-D9273644FB62_1_105_c.jpeg

We leave in 2 weeks for Cozumel.

Following... I will be there in 2 weeks as well at ScubaClub....

5 weeks for us.

We are there in 2 weeks also for 3 weeks.

Y'all feel free to add your particulars in the December Roll Call thread if you'd like to:

Customs or Immigration? The last time I went to Cozumel, the Immigration form was not used but the Customs one was.
This is still the case. There's no longer an immigration form you have to hold onto and return when leaving. You just keep the second half of the customs form which has no identifying info / signature / etc, it's just an instructions sheet.

Back
Top Bottom