Anomalous YS-110 Strobe Operation When Shooting With 1G Camera in a DX-1G Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything I have heard is that the YS-110 works flawlessly with an electrical sync cord, the problem is with compact digital cameras using the fiber-optic cable. The dive shop I am affiliated with had returned all YS-110s and has started selling the INON strobes. I personally have one 27-DX and have ordered an INON Z-240 Strobe Type 3. The Z-240 is very similar in function to the YS-110...except it works perfectly with the DX-1G. Sea and Sea gave us the option on returning the 110s for replacement but could not guarantee that the problem would be corrected. Because of their lack of being forthcoming about the problems with the 110s (even after we asked) and their apparent inability to fix the problem, we have stopped selling Sea and Sea arms and strobes and have started selling Ultralight arms and INON strobes.
My advice, if you want all of the features that the 110 offers, return yours and get the INON Z-240 Strobe Type 3, if you just want a strobe that flashes, the 27-DX works great.

Still not sure why the Sea & Sea rep has not tried to respond again to this thread???

So let me make sure Im getting the jist of your post. With the Inon and the DX-1G..you get the "True" TTL??, that the 110 doesn't have....with just a Fiber Optic connection?? If so this sounds very appealing!!

Just read this off the Inon spec sheet....

S-TTL: (pdf 234K) Automatic TTL first shot accurate exposure as simple as pressing the shutter button with digital cameras using a pre-flash. Easy, accurate operation for users wanting point-and-shoot convenience without setting camera and strobe controls. Compatible with most digital camera systems having a pre-flash and a transparent housing or optical window. Just set the camera to P Mode and "force flash", and the strobe to S-TTL and start shooting.

Next question to ask I reckon is does the DX have a pre-flash??

I just read something about the eneloop batteries for the Inon. Have you had any issues either with them or finding them??

1 last question ... the ultralight arm, I don't see it on the Inon homepage? Could the Inon Z-240 be attached to other arms, I really like the ikelite arms, or even the Sea and sea VII.

Sorry for the multitude of questions in one post :)

Greg

Last edited:
Greg since no one else has responded I will answer some of the questions you asked.

1. "With the Inon and the DX-1G..you get the "True" TTL??, that the 110 doesn't have....with just a Fiber Optic connection?" - It depends on what you mean by "True TTL" Generally TTL works by causing a preflash which the camera "reads" and adjusts the strobe power appropriately. In eTTL with a sync cord, the camera controls the strobe or strobes directly. In S-TTL (on the Inons) or D-TTL (on the YS-110) the stobes flash with the preflash the camera (if the camera strobe is properly blocked) reads only the strobe flash but adjusts its own flash; when the main flash occurs the strobe reads its level thru the optical and adjusts its level appropriately. The main difference between the YS-110 and the Inons is that the YS-110 D-TTL works only with one preflash while the Inons can operate with cameras that use multiple preflashes. I believe the DX-1G uses only one preflash.

2 "I just read something about the eneloop batteries for the Inon. Have you had any issues either with them or finding them?" They are Sanyo batteries and relatively easy to find. They are also great for any strobe because of their profile

3. "1 last question ... the ultralight arm, I don't see it on the Inon homepage? Could the Inon Z-240 be attached to other arms, I really like the ikelite arms, or even the Sea and sea VII." You can generally use any arm with any strobe. I use Fantasea arms with Ikelite and Sea and Sea stobes. The main thing is getting the correct adapter to connect the strobe to the arm. The Sea & Sea strobes use Y-S connector which you would attach to a clamp; Ikelite strobes generally use a ball connector and attach directly to a clamp; Inons generally come with a ball connectoe but I undestand a Y-S connector is available. The Sea & Sea arms have Y-S connectors at the ends - I do not use them, but from what I have seen in pictures they may not adapt well to a ball connector on a strobe. If you want to use an Inon on Sea & Sea arms best get an Y-S adapter for it.

As a final note, I am very disturbed that Sea & Sea has not commented on this thread after the initial post. It was noted above that a YS-110 replacement is on the way. A vendor I deal with in Hong Kong sort of confirmed this today. He indicated that he can not get any more YS-110s and must wait for the replacement which is due "shortly"

HI-
Here is the latest information that is available:
SEA&SEA Japan has not informed worldwide distributors of any issue with the YS-110, hence the myriad of information and dis-information available and the lack of commentary on the subject.
There are 2 main issues that are now being recoginzed by consumers in the US:
1) The reliability of the DS-TTL with compact digital cameras/fiber optic cables
2) The reliability of the strobe in manual mode with Fiber-optic cables

These 2 items can be caused by a variety of factors - type of camera, user settings, strobe, strobe sensor issue or internal component conflicts and/or compatibility of all the above as new camera technology is introduced monthly.
Testing has shown that in DS-TTL with the DX-1G more reliable settings are as follows for the YS-110:
Power: TTL
Slave: On
Power Adjustment: 1/2 (1/2 way between Full and Min setting)

If you are experiencing an issue with a YS-110 and a compact digital camera, use the product return forms for our Service Center -West HERE and an expedited warranty evaluation will be conducted.

At this time, we have been informed that a new strobe will be released in August. No other information is available at this time and no information regarding the above is available.
As we receive info we hope to be able to offer that to everyone in a timely manner.

I received my new replacement strobe today. The new strove works in manual mode consistently were the old one did not. The new strobe does not provide consistent ttl operation.

[FONT=&quot]SEA&SEA, what are my options? [/FONT]

So I finally got my INON strobe, so far it fires every time...what a concept. I am very happy with the strobe. The controls seem to be a bit complicated compared to the 110 but I am learning. The strobe seems to be everything that I hoped it would be. I do use the Ultralight strobe arms, but there are others that you can use with it. INON make strobe arms as well. As henryc32 says, you can use pretty much any arms, as long as you find the right adapters for it. The eneloop batteries are easy to find in the US but very new way up here in Canada. I ended up ordering some online and expect them today or tomorrow.
Hutterw, I would just ask Sea&Sea for a refund and then purchase the INON strobe, you will not have any issues with it. Sea&Sea took back all of the strobes for the dive shop I am affiliated with so I am sure that they will take yours back and return your money. If you bought them at an authorized dealer, they should be taking care of all of this for you, like the shop I teach for does.

Last edited:
Sent mine back to day and will swap it out for the Inon z-240. Did you find a optical sync cord?

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Thanks Henry! Well....I went ahead and bought the 110, mostly because of the package deal price. I'll be getting it in the water this next week, so we'll see what happens. Worst case scenario....guess I buy an inon. Thanks for everyones input here on ScubaBoard!:D

Cheers,

Greg

Sent mine back to day and will swap it out for the Inon z-240. Did you find a optical sync cord?

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Yes, the cable that i use is made by Fantasea. You need to buy the cable and an attachment. See below for the links:
Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- Inon Fiber Optic Cable Kit
and then remove the white plastic pies with the included allen-wrench and put this on
Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- Nano Adaptor Kit

Hope this helps.

I have a DX8000 SEA&SEA with a YS-110 some times it fires and sometimes it doesn't.

As stated in previous posts, some of the 110's do have problems when used with the optical sync cable and or settings. Sea & Sea has a new strobe, the 110 alpha that will be out in November that is supposed to address these problems. The INON strobes do work very well and I have had no problems at all with them but I would have no problem recommending the Sea & Sea 110 alpha when it comes out...if it works. Once they are in, I will borrow one for the dive shop and test it out and post my findings here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom