another bonaire fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morretti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
these fish were in the shallows at something special, bobbing up and down, up and down, and if they were startled, they disappeared into the sand.

5olK3KX.jpg

Xyrichtys martinicensis, Rosy razorfish, color variant

With an isopod attached. How on earth did you get such a good pic? If I got anywhere near them, they would be gone in a flash into the sand.

Love these. Great shot! Not the normal colors.

razors are a great "exhibit" species for new divers.

We took on an extra instabuddy in Belize one time (father of a father / daughter team and she wanted to sit out a dive). He was a new-ish diver. DM asked if the father could join us (the DM knew our lazy shallow dive profiles...) We told the father that we mostly looked for macro stuff and would NOT be swimming much. If at all. Okay with him.

The first thing we found was a bunch of rosy razorfish. I pointed & he kind of went "yah, fish, big deal". So I waved my hand at one. He stared in amazement since he had no idea where the fish went. It disappeared so fast. So I signed my hand diving into the sand, then i jammed my hand into the sand. He looked at me like I was stupid. So I swam us over to another one and waved at it. It took about 2 more fish before he realized where they went. By that time my divebuddy was jabbing me in the ribs for tormenting the fish.

So we went looking for sailfin blennies. We later dropped the father back at the boat ladder and continued our dive.

When we got back on board everyone was telling us that the father could not stop talking about his best dive ever. Unfortunately he missed the bulldozer shrimps...

With an isopod attached. ...
If you're looking where I am, at the small group of bar markings behind the pectoral fin, that's actually a common set of markings on females.

If you're looking where I am, at the small group of bar markings behind the pectoral fin, that's actually a common set of markings on females.
Ahh. Good to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom