Another Cenote Recommendation Request...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm staying on Cozumel in April and will be taking two day trips over to mainland. One day we will be renting a car and driving to the Coba ruins then probably finding a couple of neat cenotes to swim/snorkel in. Any recommendations? Maybe something between Coba and Tulum? Just snorkeling this day.

The other day trip will be just my girlfriend (snorkeler) and myself (diving). I was planning on going with Cenote Xperience for 2-3 dives. It looks like they offer Dos Ojos/El Pit or Angelita/Zapote? Otro looks to be a 3rd dive for either. I've never been cenote diving and may not get to come back for a while... I have my AOW but only have 9 dives in right now and will probably have another 10 dives in before I dive the cenotes. Looking for dramatic cave formations; don't really care about fish since I'll be diving as much as I can in Coz. I would like to bring my compact with me if I can.

Why not ask CenoteXperience these questions? I suspect they can put together a trip that meets your needs. It's possible that the combinations they list on their web site, Dos Ojos + Pit + other or Angelita + Zapote + other are just typical itineraries. I have found that almost anything is possible to put together if you explain what your preferences, concerns, etc., are. Most dive ops are happy to oblige.

I’m unable to offer suggestions for the first part of your question but as to the second part, your best bet is to speak with Nico at Cenotexperience and get his recommendation on which cenotes are appropriate for you. He might recommend Dos Ojos because there are 2 lines and it’s good for snorkelers as well. There are other beginner-friendly cenotes as well. At your level, I doubt he will suggest some of the more advanced sites you’ve mentioned (e.g. Angelita).

If you have sensitive ears, watch out! I got a reverse block the first time. There are quick ascents and descents, like a roller coaster, with some of the cenotes.

There are no to very little fish in most cenotes. Compact? Do you mean camera?

The packaged dives on their web site are just suggested combo's. El Pit and Angelita are basically big holes in the ground and deep. Zapote is deep also and is over an hour from Playa, so they don't go there very often unless it is requested well in advance. These are all advanced cenote dives, so I doubt they will take you to them your first time out. Go to YouTube and look at which cenotes interest you. My suggestions for you would be Tajma Ha, Dos Ojos, Chac Mool/ Kukulkan, El Eden, or Calavera.
I have been diving with Nico & his brother Martin for over 7 years. They are great guys and love what they do. Just ask Nico and he will be happy to assist you with the best package for you and your girlfriend. Just be honest about your experience and skill level. Tell Nico that Steve from Canada sent you CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

I'm staying on Cozumel in April and will be taking two day trips over to mainland. One day we will be renting a car and driving to the Coba ruins then probably finding a couple of neat cenotes to swim/snorkel in. Any recommendations? Maybe something between Coba and Tulum? Just snorkeling this day.

The other day trip will be just my girlfriend (snorkeler) and myself (diving). I was planning on going with Cenote Xperience for 2-3 dives. It looks like they offer Dos Ojos/El Pit or Angelita/Zapote? Otro looks to be a 3rd dive for either. I've never been cenote diving and may not get to come back for a while... I have my AOW but only have 9 dives in right now and will probably have another 10 dives in before I dive the cenotes. Looking for dramatic cave formations; don't really care about fish since I'll be diving as much as I can in Coz. I would like to bring my compact with me if I can.

As others have said, talk to the boys at CenoteXperience. What I'd recommend at I'm sure what they'd recommend for your first visit to the cenotes would be Tajma Ha and Ponderosa (Eden). Great dives and they are a good, easy way to see if Cenote diving is your thing.

Angelita and Zapote doesn't sound like a likely combo. They are very far apart, with Zapote being near Puerto Morelos and Angelita south of Tulum. It would be about a two hour drive to get from one to the other. Having said that, I second the suggestion to just call up Nico from CenoteXperience and talk to him directly. They know what they are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom