Another Coz commentary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I just got back from a weekender at Coz. Right on time from the 'cane. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana and dove with Dive House. Our dives were Santa Rosa Wall, Tormentos, Chankanaab Reef at night, Palancar Gardens, and Paseo Del Cedral. Saw Huge lobster, a Green moray that would have pushed 6', huge crabs, a sea horse, a very wide variety of reef fish and coral, octopi, and really enjoyed the swim thrus. I now really understand the love of drift diving. It has to be the closest thing to UW flying there is without a scooter. We had a great trip with some great people.

Tom

had everything crossed for you (fingers, toes, etc.) in hopes that you would miss any hurricanes? Thank goodness it all worked. And wasn't that night dive at Chankanab spectacular? It is our favorite night dive!

We, too, love the drift diving in Coz: and I like your analogy!

Joewr

Tom,
It's nice to hear that you liked FA and Dive House.
Your list of dives is certainly from the "A list" for Cozumel.
Your comment about drift diving makes me feel like I was back there, "floating" .
Glad you enjoyed your trip,
MikeD

I NEED TO GET THERE!!

Nice report Tom, glad you had a good time.

On my list for next year.

Tom,
Reading your trip report brought back some wonderful memories! 4 yrs ago I stayed at the Fiesta Americana Cozumel and dove with the Dive House on the same sites plus the Palancar Reef. It was a great vacation exceeding all of my expectations. By the way, is dive master Eddie still with the Dive House? That guy is an awesome diver!

~lildiver

I dunno. I really only met the guys that worked my boat. We were 15 people and dove on Dive house 1. Whats the difference between Palancar gardens and Palancar reef?

Tom

Hello Tom,
Man, you sure know how to make Flo and I green with envy. Cozumel is our MOST favorite dive trip. We make the trek each May. All the dive sites you named are fabulous. Sure wish we were there now. How fast was the current in November. May is very little current, just enough to move you along. Glad you missed the hurricane. We had a rainy time last May, just rain, no storm. The streets down town had water over the sidewalks. When you got in a taxi the water would run in the doors and flow back and forth when the taxi stopped and started. Quite an experience, I can't imagine what it would be like in a hurricane.

Hey Lildiver:
Eddie was there in May. Juan, Eddie, Pirate, Francisco, and others I can't remember their names are a great bunch of guys. Evelyn LaPlante keeps a great dive op at the Dive House.

Hey Joewr,
When are you going back to Cozumel?

Burt

Burt

Burt (and, of course, Flo),

We will be in the friendly confines of the Fiesta Americana for about two weeks from late December through early January. Our New Years Eve dinner will be at the French Quarter. And, if we did not have so much to do around here, we would have gone earlier.

Just reading Tom's post made me feel like being irresponsible and packing the bags right now! Cozumel is Barbara's favorite dive site, too...and one of my top three. And do not forget Cruz...he was really helpful to Barbara on several dives...We still think Cozumel is the best value in diving for North America.

Our best to Flo...and we hope we can get together again sometime...that was a mighty pleasant day!

Joewr

Hi Joe,
Between Tom telling about his trip to Cozumel and you telling you are going for TWO weeks in Dec and Flo and I having to dive the quarry tomorrow, I'M DYING!!!!! Sure wish we could join you. We have our Grand Turk trip(postponed from Sept)in Feb so I guess we will have to wait until May for our dive trip back to Cozumel. At least think of us with a toast on New Year's Eve at the French Quarter. We have yet to eat there, however, we will try it in May. Try Guido's Pizza, if you haven't already. It is a great little Italian place(like the name Guido's doesn't tell you it's Italian). Tell Barbara we said hello and have a safe journey. Until next chance meet or email.
Burt

Tom, I just read your question...I meant Palancar Caves & Palancar Gardens. Sorry for the confusion.

~lildiver

Back
Top Bottom