Another DIR Light Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
So...Cannister is on the right...what do you use on the left side to balance the rig if you are not using stage bottles or an argon bottle or anything on the left? I have noticed that if you have a weight on your single tank valve and it swings off-centre that it can affect your trim, I'd assume that a battery cannister on one side and nothing on the other would cause a problem as well...any thoughts:confused:

I guess it depends on what light you have. I've got a Pro4 and dont compensate on the left at all. I dont even feel it in the water. Supposedly the Pro4 is only 2-3lb negative so not much diff there.

Pro14 may be an issue.

I usually dive doubles with an argon tank on the left, and may or may not have canister on right. Either way, you get used to it. Kind of like riding a bike, you learn to balance the load, and then don't have the roll anymore.

A stage/deco tank would aggrevate the roll toward the right if it was low, so that is not really a "balance". And, most canisters are more negative than deco tanks.

It's mainly just a learning experience. Or, as my instructor put it, it all in your head :doctor: :D

MD

My cannister is negative 2 lbs buoyant, but I don't need anything on the left hand side to compensate for it. I haven't had any problems with it affecting my trim at all.

I probably have the worst light on the board for causing trim problems...and it isn't a problem. Although it is easier with doubles (more stable), I can manage it with singles.

BTW, I have an AUL halogen canister that is 16# on dry land...about 6-7# negative underwater.

You'll just have to put more air in the right side of your wing. Jus kidding. :goofy: Anyway, it shouldn't matter that much. If its a problem then just move the weights on your weight belt more to the left. Stage bottles don't really add weight to your rig for balance purposes. In fact, as they become empty and get lighter, they should tend to exacerbate your perceived problem.

The Pirate :pirate:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom