Another New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on the cert.
I wouldn't worry too much about the "colder water". It's about 11c or 52F here and I plan on diving for a few weeks yet. I still dive wet so I'll have to pack it in around mid November.

Does Florida ever get cold? As in below say 65 degrees ( I know some of you polar bears dont think cold till 35 degrees)? How do you fail an OW class with a private instructor (no im not being an ***, im curious as to how you can fail as opposed to just doing it till you get it right)?

Good Luck :D

Im not positive but I think the gulf/ocean waters get a little on the cool side but I will still attempt to dive in it :D

As far as "Failing" the first 2 times, that was'nt the case. This was just my 3rd attempt. I dont really want to get in to finger pointing on the board due to him being a local (to me)diver/instructor. Theres just no need to cause drama on the forums because he may be a member as well. Im just happy to finally have my cert but if you really want details just send me a PM.

Congratulations on sticking with it, by going for the 'third time charm', and on finishing, and apparently having fun!Good for you - you are already sounding like a FL diver. This is 'terribly cold' as in, maybe something in the low 70s, instead of the high 70s or 80s, right? My son and I did our OW checkouts in FL one December years ago. We drove down from NC (where it was already really cold at the time), went out in 3mm wetsuits and remarked to each other how really warm it was, while diving with some FL folks who were in 5mm, hoods and gloves, and complained about how unusually cold it was. :wink: All a matter of perspective, I guess.

We did our OW dives in crystal river and it was in the low 70s. It wasnt bad at all with a 3 mill farmer on and at one point I actually thought about taking the shorty off I was suprised how comfortable I was so im definatly looking forward to doing some more cool water dives. As you said, its all a matter of perspective.

Hi Kafer...

What part of Florida are you from? And yes I survive our "cold" winters in Florida...wear a lot more rubber though

I live in Pinellas County, west of Tampa and Im looking forward to getting under the water!

Thank you to everyone for the encouragment :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom