Another Newbie Q - wrist or console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am for wrist mount all the way, i hold my arms in such a way that all i need to do is look down and to the side, and i can read everything! it's a preference thing really, neither is better then the other, just try both and see what you like better!

Another thing to consider for a computer is being able to use it on different setups. I dive with a Cressi Archimedes II wrist mount, which allows me to have the computer with me whether I'm diving a single tank, standard analog console with students (working on my DM certification), or with my doubles using only an SPG. If you see yourself getting into tech, or having multiple regs, having a wrist mount computer is a really nice feature.

I prefer my Suunto Vytec on the wrist for info at a glance ,with a three gauge console for back up. But then I like redundancy with all my life support gear, extra mask, 19cuft pony, lift bag as back up for wing, extra light, all things secured, nothing dangly, works for me.

--

I just received my Atmos-2 from ScubaToys - so it hasn't even been wet yet. One deciding factor over the newer smaller model XR-2, was some comments in this thread regarding its larger display. That being said, it is a somewhat large device to strap to your wrist.

Another factor was that it can also be mounted on a retractor or a console so if I found I didn't like it on my wrist, I had other alternatives.

Up 'till now I've used a bottom timer/watch on my arm, and although the Atmos-2 is larger - I think it is a more convenient location (for me, anyway).

Just my $0.02,
...steve...

PS: Could someone please post a picture of the bungee mounting technique? Thanks!

spectrum:
Personally, having my gauges on my wrists would drive me nuts. I want to get info by glancing in one place and my hands are not in my face. My console is bolt snapped to to a top left D ring and it swings to a nice viewing position in an instant.

(Sorry Rainer, I couldn't resist)

I do like that the linear shape of the console makes aiming the compass a no brainer.

In order to get good viewing with your optix you might find it helpful to get a 42 HP hose.

My wife and I each have the Atmos-2 in the 3 bay console, we like it fine.

Pete

No worries! It's a personal thing. Though if you consider going tech, some training programs will not allow gauges on consoles, for what it's worth. For me, it's just a MUCH better way of accessing relevant dive info. YMMV.

The big advantage of a console is if you are going air-integrated -- Then it doesn't require a transmitter, so it is both cheaper and simpler. The disadvantage is that the instrument is not as accessible and visible as a gauge on your wrist.

Wrist gauges get caught on harness and are easier to forget and misplace. Finding any gauge that is bifocal-friendly is a challenge, but the Suunto Cobra is a good choice in a console. The wrist-mounted computers tend to have smaller displays because they tend to be physically smaller. I finally got a Vytec, which has a display bigger than a Cobra, and I love it.

I'm a very happy campter with wrist mounted instruments and a simple SPG on my hip, but I think this is very much a matter of what works best for you, unless you are trying to standardize a system for a team.

I'm a console man all the way. Always been a fan of "One Stop Shopping" and with a console everything from my bottom time to what direction I'm going is available at a single glance.

I love my wrist-mounted Gekko. Compared to diving with the console, it makes everything much easier for me. My SPG is still in the console, of course.

There are three pieces of information that you "need" on all dives: Remaining air (pressure), depth, and time. Of these, once you get a handle on your breathing rate, you'll develop an intuitive feel for your air consumption. This doesn't mean you don't check the SPG regularly, but for much of the dive, you're basically making sure it agrees with what you know it will say. (When nearing turn pressures, ascent pressures, or whatever, you'll quite likely want to watch it more closely.)

Time is not necessarily so intuitive for me. If I'm diving somewhat near the limits of my computer (which I consider acceptable, at least with a Gekko and the settings I select), I'll often need to keep close tabs on my time. Not having to look down for that makes it a lot easier for me. I'm horizontal when I dive, and I'm often just inches off a silt bottom in order to see the tiny things I'm checking out. If I were to have to look down (or sweep a retracted console up to look at, even), I'd have to ascend enough to not stir up the bottom.

When I'm not just off the bottom, depth becomes of primary importance. Diving along a vertical wall with no bottom for 140+ feet, it's a lot easier for me to keep my wrist in front of me for an absolute reference than it is to keep looking down at a console. The wall itself is a great short-term relative reference, but it's all too easy to slant shallower or deeper as you go along, and having to look away from the wall to watch your time and depth only compounds the issue. Also, when ascending and making unanchored deep, safety, or deco stops, having your depth (and time, too) on your wrist makes it much more straightforward to maintain constant depth. You could keep looking down to a console, but it's a lot easier for me to look at my wrist in front of me while simultaneously watching the floaties in the water (and noting whether there's any upward/downward drift to the floaties).

Now, certainly, it's possible to dive safely with either console or wrist gauges. I and my most experienced buddies have just *personally* found that there is an added convenience to wrist-mounted information when it comes to being (possibly excessively) vigilant in our diving. We dive horizontally, and having more information available in front of us in our direction of travel is appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom