Another one with heavy legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webjester

New
Reaction score
I have very heavy legs (i.e. dense) and can't maintain proper trim with wetsuits. My legs start sinking immediately when I stop paddling:
- My trim is perfect in a dry suit, in fact I use ankle weights.
- I sink like a rock in a bathing suit even with a full lung
- I have 6 lbs of weight in my shoulder pockets already (with wetsuits only)
- I have read the previous posts to no avail
- I tried everything from moving steel tanks up and AL tanks down, over changing the BCD position, bending legs etc. Nothing works, even in combination.

Now, when I was in Roatan I met an older diver (with more than 1000 dives) who had two self-made acrylic cylinders (I'd say 2-3 lbs of lift each) strapped to his fins. Needless to say it looked pretty dorky. But now I am beginning to think that this is the only solution for us few negatively buoyant divers. So, my questions:
- has anybody seen anything commercially available that I can strap to my legs (to avoid the laughter), which gives about 4-6lbs lift? Of course it needs to maintain its shape/lift under pressure.
- any other ideas?

Your ideas are greatly appreciated.

Lighter fins [Diverites], More harness weight, steel backplate, knee pads are a few ideas. I wont tolerate being feet heavy especially working reels. I wish someone would market some 11mil.neoprene gaitors with velcro the full length. You could trim off some till you are just right and ditch some of the harness weight. Ive thought of making some but havent yet. I know they would work the best and they dont even exist to my knowledge.

Have you had yourself videoed? Posture is probably 60% or more of good horizontal trim. No matter what you do with your weights or your fins, if you are dropping your head or flexing at the hips, you're going to have trim problems. I'd start with diagnosing posture, and once you are absolutely CERTAIN that there is no flaw there, then go through the gear possibilities.

Have you had yourself videoed? Posture is probably 60% or more of good horizontal trim. No matter what you do with your weights or your fins, if you are dropping your head or flexing at the hips, you're going to have trim problems. I'd start with diagnosing posture, and once you are absolutely CERTAIN that there is no flaw there, then go through the gear possibilities.

Ditto. It's possible for my 5'8" 120-lb body to trim out a long HP120 tank, with a steel backplate, wearing heavy fins. Oh yes, and I was overweighted by about 8 lbs. I didn't like it much, but it was doable and my main weapon in that little battle: Posture.

Head up, chest flat, knees up, feet flat. :wink:

Peace,
Greg

Heatwave makes 10mm booties. Apparently they make your feet float like nothing else.

What kick do you use? Try a frog kick and keep your feet further towards your butt. The advice above about video taping will show just what is going on.

good advice, posture is important arching the back a bit like your skydiving.

Hmm, thanks guys. But I AM certain that posture is not the problem. I have numerous videos and I have perfect posture in a drysuit (the guy in the video has a drysuit too). Just the wetsuits are a problem. Kicking is also not the problem, because it is when I stop that the trim becomes an issue (obviously). I don't like steel plates for wetsuits because I dread the extra weight in my suitcase (I live in MI). However, I just finished Tech40 and will switch to a plate anyway, at least for the local diving.
Foam gators will compress at depth and lose the buoyancy, though it will probably help along with the less dense fins. Any ideas for something non-compressible that's lighter than water?

Please post the video of you in a drysuit but more importantly in the wetsuit with the perfect posture so we can see what is causing the problem. I would bet that the drysuit is hiding the posture problem. It is probably floating the legs up enough to hide the positioning problem.
How can you have perfect posture but have poor trim? Are you dropping your legs which is pulling you out of trim? If your knees are bent back with feet level, arms out, head back then your would be balaced, right? kinda of physics. I bet your arms are not out in front enough or your knees are not bent enough. If they are and the video shows it all is correct, equipment is set up right, I would love to learn and solve the problem by looking at the video of you in the wetsuit. I would be happy to look at video off line and give you feedback if you prefer. I so, just PM me.
Regards,
Errol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom