Another reason to dive solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foxfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out to day on a chartered dive boat. I met up with a past dive buddy who I'd lost contact with. I thought he'd given up diving. He had stopped for a while and then got sick and was just starting to get back into diving.

We buddied up. He was chasing crayfish and I was taking photos. First dive he called the dive after half an hour with low pressure. We surfaced together near the boat. I still had plenty of air in my primary tank and I was carrying a pony. He went back to the boat and I kept diving for another half an hour. Same thing happened on the second dive.

It was a relief to be able to continue the dive confidently and safely. Almost feel guilty saying this but I really enjoyed the experience of being able to go where you wanted at your own pace and not having to constantly have to watch out for a buddy.

It was a relief to be able to continue the dive confidently and safely. Almost feel guilty saying this but I really enjoyed the experience of being able to go where you wanted at your own pace and not having to constantly have to watch out for a buddy.

Lately I have been feeling this way more and more. I have been feeling a shift in my diving philosophy that is leaning more towards solo diving. Back when I took my open water certification classes my instructors would constantly tell me that when they dive outside of teaching they are their own dive buddy and that is how they best enjoyed the dives.

Another thing about it for me that is important is shifting the mind set to become more self reliant. I mean this in the terms of if something does occur I like the idea of training my mindset to look to myself to solve the problem rather than making the first reaction as to bolt over to some other person and hope they can help me.

In an environment where vocal communication is not an option, no one will know better than myself what the situation is that I am occurring. The valuable time wasted trying to get someone else to understand my problem can be better spent going into my own rescue efforts. Training in this manner could eliminate the possible dangers brought to another person while trying to force them to save me.

Like the OP said the dive is more more relaxing when you are not constantly looking and worrying about your dive buddy.

I do not think that the solo diving philosophy is for everyone. I believe it should only become a transition as a diver becomes fully competent in their dive abilities, obtains the proper equipment for the task and has the correct training to become an independent diver.

Another thing about it for me that is important is shifting the mind set to become more self reliant. I mean this in the terms of if something does occur I like the idea of training my mindset to look to myself to solve the problem rather than making the first reaction as to bolt over to some other person and hope they can help me.

Yes! It's reassuring to have that redundant air supply right at your fingertips.

My early dives 50+ years ago were solo, but primarily because we only had one set of gear. I've dived solo most of the time, usually out of "necessity" to get certain things accomplished when another diver was not available to dive. When I bewgan filming underwater 13 years ago, I found solo to be almost the only way to go if I wanted to get the footage I desired without negatively impacting a buddy's dive (or having them impact my filming). I thoroughly enjoy being free to follow (or stay put with) any critter dumb enough to get in front of my camera, although I also enjoy sharing a dive with one of my "regular" buddies when they are available.

I do not recommend solo diving for anyone else of course. To do so would require a pretty good knowledge of their diving skills... and, perhaps most importantly, their response to emergencies. For those prone to panic, solo is probably not for them.

My early dives 50+ years ago were solo, but primarily because we only had one set of gear. I've dived solo most of the time, usually out of "necessity" to get certain things accomplished when another diver was not available to dive. When I bewgan filming underwater 13 years ago, I found solo to be almost the only way to go if I wanted to get the footage I desired without negatively impacting a buddy's dive (or having them impact my filming). I thoroughly enjoy being free to follow (or stay put with) any critter dumb enough to get in front of my camera, although I also enjoy sharing a dive with one of my "regular" buddies when they are available.

I do not recommend solo diving for anyone else of course. To do so would require a pretty good knowledge of their diving skills... and, perhaps most importantly, their response to emergencies. For those prone to panic, solo is probably not for them.

Do you typically shore dive or dive from a boat? If from a boat are you normally the only person on the boat?

Oh and I also enjoy diving with a buddy for other reasons than those for solo diving. I'm not convinced diving with a competent buddy is a lot safer without a pony bottle unless you stay within a couple of metres of each other. That is normally not the case for me.

I shore dive solo rather often, always with a pony bottle, all regular checks and precautions. I prefer how freeing it is compared to constantly having to check in with a buddy, especially one who may not monitor their air frequently or have the same level skillet I have honed as an instructor in Canada (dry suit, cold, varying visibility, chance of current). I wouldn't however dive solo from a boat, heard too many horror stories, and typically I check in with my pal at the dive store in between dives and after in case of the need for search and rescue :wink:

I can pursue the shots I desire underwater, if I want to sit with one fish for 20 minutes no ones bugging me and I get that siiiick shot that makes me feel like my dive was even more awesome.

I didn't start until I had 150 dives and a pony bottle plus my instructor rating.

Also I'm new to the forums so hi everybody and im stoked to be part of this great board (been lurking for a long time)!

cheers

I feel the same way. I've had a few instabuddies that made me feel like I was solo diving anyway. I have yet to dive solo, except playing the victim in Search and Rescue scenarios. However, I have begun to adopt the mindset of solo diving to become more self sufficient and be able to self rescue. Perhaps in a year or two with more training I will begin solo diving. I'm glad to see there are other out there that don't think solo diving is madness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom