Another report Lobos & Beachhopper 11-12 Apr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving at Lobos on Friday 11th. Seas were flat, the sun was out and life was good. Vis was about 30 ft just outside Whalers cove. Not as many fish around as we have seen on other days. Saturday we went out on the Beachhopper. First dive was at Inner Pinnacles. Vis was about 20ft; water temp 48 to 50 F. Second dive back at Aumentos which I personally think is one of the best of the easy dives around Monterey, given the proliferation of cup corals, anemones and life in general.
Pictures are at

.Mac Web Gallery

I would be interested if I got the identification of the tiger rockfish correct: it seems to be the best match from my Paul Humann Coastal Fish book.

Nice pictures Ian, I have a much darker version of that rock fish, I think Neptune is telling me I need a new strobe system :)

It was a very nice diving weekend indeed.
My newly found diving budies (all of UC Davis's finest) have invited me to Point Lobos again.
I would have enjoyed the calm waters and nice vis, if it wasn't for the constant fear of loosing my toes to the cold.
I have learned an important lesson.. "Don't use tropical sea booties in the Monterey Bay ..." :froze:

No great observations except for one anemone having some Jelly for desert :)

The next day I was the proud owner of a new pair of "Thermal Socks" .
20 Bucks well spent! Not as cozy as the Red Sea but still much warmer.

The BeachHopper was a very nice ride, Didn't get so many nice pictures underwater but had some very nice diving, swam with a big school of black rock fish, seen a nice wall of mertridium and lots of nudies.

On the way there and back we spoted whales and of course we met lots of sea Lions and otters.

Thanks again for the lovely time Ian, and send my regards to Susan and Howard, I hope you all don't mind your pictures on the forum:)

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 26
  • Ian.jpg
    Ian.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 34
  • SusanHaward.jpg
    SusanHaward.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 29
  • BeachHopper.jpg
    BeachHopper.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 3580_p_fav.jpg
    3580_p_fav.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Anemone Vs Jelly.jpg
    Anemone Vs Jelly.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Knoby.jpg
    Knoby.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Leather Sea Star.jpg
    Leather Sea Star.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Rock Fish.jpg
    Rock Fish.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Pelican.jpg
    Pelican.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Sea Lion.jpg
    Sea Lion.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, I was thrown off by the double stripes in the picture p. 47 in Humanns book. I see in the description that the double stripes are occasional. I also see that it is "uncommon to rare north to San francisco". Is that true?

Harari: you are very welcome. Thanks again for joining us for a glorious couple of days in Monterey. It does not get much better - except for when we get 150ft visibility (not often ....)

BTW: that is a great photo of the nudis. I wish I had spotted them. And who is the dope in the dry suit sitting on the boat?

Thanks, I was thrown off by the double stripes in the picture p. 47 in Humanns book. I see in the description that the double stripes are occasional. I also see that it is "uncommon to rare north to San francisco". Is that true?

Yes, that's true. Certainly not as common as Blue and Blacks or Olive/Yellowtail Rockfish, and they seem to be about as rare as seeing a China Rockfish, at least where we dive, IMHO.

Yes, that's true. Certainly not as common as Blue and Blacks or Olive/Yellowtail Rockfish, and they seem to be about as rare as seeing a China Rockfish, at least where we dive, IMHO.

I think Treefish are less common than China's. I think I've seen three China's for every
Treefish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom