Another set of questions about Cancun / Playa del Carmen / Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the help. My son is 17, so he and my wife will probably do some snorkeling or check out the sites you recommended. Who knows, I may convince them both to try diving when we get there, I haven't figured out why neither of them want to dive....thanks again! Andy.

Hi peafarmer
i m living in Cancun now , (for this last 15 years ) and now working in a very nice and small dive operation in Cancun s hotel zone ,, if you need some advice i ll be glad to give it,,for diving or anything you need ...bye:)

My opinion....Cancun is only good for the airport. It is like Vegas meets Miami except more people speak English in Cancun. PDC has a much more "Mexico" feel to it while still having a lot of tourist comforts. The area by the ferry is fun for shopping and there are many restaurants/bars/etc. There are a ton of things to do near PDC. There are caves, ruins, snorkeling, ziplining, cenotes, awesome beaches, etc... If you're comfortable renting a car, these places are very easy to visit on your own. You can drive to Akumal and snorkel with big turtles very easily and for free. Ruins are <$10 each. You can also sign up for a tour to any of these places which is good but more expensive. I'm not sure when you're going but another amazing thing to do in the summer is to snorkel with whale sharks. This is the one thing that might be easier to do from Cancun but I still wouldn't stay there. The tour operators in PDC will take you to the whale sharks. If you have people in your family who aren't good snorkelers, you may want to ask some questions though. When we did it the water was rough.

Tendi is right, "Vegas meets Miami" sums up Cancun for me (on the basis of one horrified stroll along the strip). If your young people would like to drink and party, though, it fits the bill.
Snorkeling in the ocean and cenotes, exploring ruins, sampling a variety of good Mexican restaurants: you're making me think of Puerto Morelos, Akumal and Puerto Aventuras. The adventure parks Xcaret and Xel-ha might suit your family too.
PDC has a very attractive beach, much more shopping and American-style eating, while still retaining its Mexican charm.

Back
Top Bottom