Another Thread on Gear Recommendations - Reg Package / Octopus / BCD - California Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rent some. Buy some. It sounds like you are comfortable with a jacket style BCD. There are hundreds of thousands of people who dive with these and are extremely happy. There are also at least a thousand people who like BP/W. It's up to you.
As far as regs go, there are several that are discussed on the board regularly for their quality, breateablility, looks, service, etc. etc. If I were in your position, I would list all of the "good" ones that are mentioned with their prices (new and used) and service pricing. Then I would pick one that you are "comfortable" with based on the feedback here on SB AND the price. I would get the best gear that you can afford. I would NOT buy a starter kit. If you get a good regulator, it won't get worse. I am breathing on the same regulator I bought in 1986. Maybe I'm lucky. It's one of the ones that are frequently highly rated here.

Bottom line is that I would rent for a while trying to rent what you think you may want to own. If you have access to multiple dive shops carrying multiple brands of gear, try to work with them to select the best for you.

Good luck -

@runsongas - thanks for the suggestion. How much of a discount are we talking about on the deep 6 regs? Is it worth waiting a few months to see if they go on sale? I'll have to do a bit more research on the whole BPW setup. If I were to go jacket style for my first BC has anyone had an issues with the Aqua Lung Pro HDs or a different one they would recommend? Seems @NorCalDM has used them and hasn't had any problems

I personally don’t use that BC it’s our rentals and gets abused but seems to hold up pretty good. I’m a Back plate guy and use Apeks regs. Aqua Lung, Apeks, Scuba Pro and Atomics are pretty easy to find and get serviced in California or at least NorCal I see some Hog and a few Deep 6 but not many at least not yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom