Another TrustMe dive experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this illustrates an important problem in how we think about overhead environments. We tell people that they aren't qualified to be in overhead environments without technical certification, and that is the rule. Period.

I think the same thing would be true if we had more reasonable guidelines for overhead environments, and, BTW, I'm working on it.

This is an update.

I did work on it. PADI has accepted my Distinctive Specialty named Understanding Overhead Environments. It is an academic only class that discusses the different kinds of overhead environments and their different levels of danger. What is important about it is that the course accepts that some overhead environments are acceptable for divers without technical training, and the course has PADI's endorsement. This is a major change in thinking on the part of a recreational dive agency.

.....SNIP I would rather be a weenie and make all my calls in the conservative direction, than opt for, "hey, it will be fine," and discover it isn't.

Having experienced both, I have found that I can live with "Why did I thumb that?" much better than "Why did I get myself into this?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom