Another UK newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

Looks like it's going to be a long time in my case. Got told last night at my club that there's basically no chance of me completing my bsac open water practicals before the end of this year. Training at our club is a joke at times (not the quality which is excellent but the organisation or often total lack of it.)

Anyone know if I can finish off the practicals at a BSAC school ?

Ian:(

You can't lay this problem at the door of BSAC, they have no control over the organisational abilities (or total lack of them) of club committee members. Individually some of the people in the club will move heaven and earth to help but, unfortunately, the great majority aren't suitably qualified to instruct in open water.

Ian

I may have been too cruel! :wink:

But the problem remains. If you have to take almost half a year (assuming you started your course quite recently!) to complete a basic openwater course then that is blatantly ridiculous. The problem is BSAC is an amateur operation and this is it's fundamental flaw.

Regards
Jim

Actually it's taken over 6 months to get this far. Some of the delay has been down to me (missed training sessions due to work commitments or illness) but a lot has been because of things such as, in the early sessions, no available spare kit. Then things got screwed up and I had to repeat all the pool sessions and half the theory because training dates couldn't be confirmed.
Don't get me wrong, I like the club as a social and, hopefully, diving focus but you can see why I'm looking to pay a BSAC school to complete the open water theory quickly. I'll also probably do the BSAC Sports Diver course at a school (about £190.00 for a three day intensive course) rather than about 6 months in the club.

It really p****s me off because it's problems like this which help fuel the BSAC vs PADI vs xyz debates.

Roll on NDI (UK)

Ian
ian.wigg@btclick.com

Blimey o'reilly. That means it will have taken almost a year in total. That is riduculous, Ian.

Pay the money and get it done properly. You'll have probably forgotten most of the stuff you learnt by the time you get round to the exam.

I am surprised you lasted as long as you did. Good for you!

regards
Jim

Ian,

Contact me via aprivate message and we'll see if we can get you sorted out. I am PADI & BS-AC.. and I won't get drawn into the pros or cons of either in public... but you are not too far away from me... and we are finishing a course for 3 guys at the end of next week.

Regards,

Shaun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom