Another Weighting Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone... I too am new to diving and have a question about proper weighting. I got certified in Jamaica with no wetsuit and about 10 lbs of weight. I live in Missouri and will be diving with a 7mm suit most of the time. So I was just looking for suggestions on how much weight to start with. Thanks for your time and info. It is much appreciated...

skdvr:
Hello everyone... I too am new to diving and have a question about proper weighting. I got certified in Jamaica with no wetsuit and about 10 lbs of weight. I live in Missouri and will be diving with a 7mm suit most of the time. So I was just looking for suggestions on how much weight to start with. Thanks for your time and info. It is much appreciated...

For starts try 10% of body weight plass 10 pounds. But rememebr to do the check with a nearly empty tank. You need enough weight for a saftey stop with 500PSI in the tank. If you dive in fresh water then you can do the weighting experiment in a pool. with a near empty tank have a buddy hand you weights untill you can just get under water. The other way is to start out over weighted and then take 2 pouns off after ever second dive untill you seem to be underweighted then add two pounds back.

skdvr,
I also live in Mo.,and if you have not dove in the quarries in the midwest and are using
a 7mm wetsuit,remember you will need a hood and gloves also.I have a 7mm farmer john and in the core it totals to 14mm.My OW certification week it took over 30lbs to get me down though I went two weekends ago to Haigh quarry and I only needed 26lbs.So when you go take extra weight with you,you may not need it all but you won't know until you go out and dive fresh water.Also if you are newly certified and have not dived in these quarries around here in the midwest be carefull because the
vis can be pretty bad,try and go with a DM or a dive club from around the area.Have
fun and dive safe your not in Jamaica anymore lol.
Lanny

BrianV:
With an AL80, I dive 24 lbs when wearing 7mm + vested hood.

I'm 6'0", 170 lbs

Fresh or salt?

No wetsuit 10 pounds... With a 7mil suit I'd say off the bat around 28. I imagine you'll probably also have thick booties and gloves on. What I like to do is put on a set or 2 of ankle weights when I dive with a thick wet suit, helps trim me out.

All the other posters have given you the age old tried and true ways to get yourself weighted, but if you want a nice number to start off with, I'd say try 28.

Thanks for all the info... It is greatly appreciated....

Phil
Florissant, Mo

Back
Top Bottom