anticipated changes due to lost weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Monday we are allowed to dive too. Got my tank full this morning. Guess what I will be doing first thing on Monday...

June sounds a bit too early to have international traveling etc restored by then, but who knows. Few days ago, here everybody was convinced that this thing will last loooong... Within just a couple of days everything seems to be going unbelievably good. Who knows how things will be in few weeks.

I am from Crete (southern part of Greece) and unfortunately I haven't dived anywhere else around Greece. I know the sea and beaches in Chalkidiki are brilliant so diving should be nice too.

All the best

I've asked the dive site and the accommodation, they said it's probably gonna be OK after end of May if you have a health passport. And we're coming 15. June. And the best thing is it's possible to have it moved if it's a problem. We'll wait and see soon. Good think I didn't book anything over an travel agency, so all of the dates are flexible.

Everything depends on the progress of the pandemic. So far we know that according to our government plan:
- Dive operators won't be allowed to open before the 20th of May (although being in Greece, my local dive shop was happy to fill in my tank this morning :) )
- Until mid of May we are not allowed even to move to different regions within the country
- Hotels that normally operate throughout the year (i.e. not summer/holiday only hotels) will be allowed to open on the 1st of June
- Holiday hotels are supposed to be allowed to open after that, probably in July but nobody knows exactly when.
Given that our economy is hugely depended on tourism, I believe everything related to tourism will be allowed to open the moment that it will be internationally assumed reasonably safe to do so.
Here in Crete (huge holiday destination) most of the big hotels have decided that it doesn't worth the trouble opening for this year. Uncertainty is just too high. Now if things turn good soon, I am sure everybody will rush to open...

yeah, we're tracking the situation, especially since greece is the main destination for serbians. Especially Halkidiki, since it's closest to us.
And the ambassador said something like that.
A lot of vagueness, a lot of mabes.

I know that my dive club leader is not gonna be able to go to Montenegro for the season any time soon, and that we're thinking to start the season on a lake for now.

But we'll see.

We have to be patient. We are starting to have a bit looser curfews. This is going to be the first weekend that we'll be allowed to leave the houses, but no one is allowed to go out tomorrow for 1. May.

Hopefully on sunday I'm going to our local lake for a dive.

And I can't wait. Before the emergency I got a new BC, wetsuit and a mask and I didn't get the chance to test it out. but in couple of days. Most definitely. :D

I think I have gained the weight you lost... LOL --- I tried on my work suits today and boy oh boy -- a bit snug

I almost forgot to give an update just in case anybody else is interested. I did manage to dive on Monday - two dives.

My wet suit was indeed more "comfortable" (maybe it was tight before) but nothing too bad.
It was cold, but it was not so much due to the wetsuit size. The problem was my buddy who had swam in the sea few days ago and had told me that the water was 21oC (~70oF), so I though I wouldn't need my vest and my gloves (which I generally use below 20oC). It turned out that 21oC was an inch or so of surface water on a very sunny and calm day. Real water temperature during our dive was 17oC (~63oF)!! I still managed to do both dives but it was COLD.

As for weight/lead needs, since the LDS is not busy at all (they are supposed to be closed until the 20th of May), I asked them if I could borrow a pair of tech style fins to try them out (normally I use marres avanti quatro). They gave me some scubatech fins which are quite negative (my marres are neutral), they were a size bigger than mine and the foot pocket was huge (made for drysuit boots). I did remove 1kg (out of my usual 6kg) from my belt and my trim was just horrible - I can't remember diving so feet negative ever before. Because of bad trim my torso and head were constantly heading up, hence I always felt I was rising/underweight - although I think I was not. Anyway due to cold and frustration with these fins I didn't do any proper weight check at the end of the first dive.

For the second dive, I used my normal fins and normal weight (6kg) - just to enjoy it and I was back to normal. I didn't feel particular heavy but again no proper weight check at the end. Maybe I can ditch 1kg/2pounds but I think no more than that.

As for SAC with the cold, bad trim etc it was higher than usual (as expected).

Next dives I plan/hope I will probably be solo, with proper exposure, and I will do proper weight check.

To sum up: after loosing about 10% of my weight: wetsuit feels a bit more loose but not too much, lead needs look unaffected (maybe I can remove 1kg/2 pounds but no more), SAC can't comment as yet.

Thanks for all the input.

Your trim might also be something to do with where the weight is. I tend to put 2kl in the bcd trim pockets up high and 3kl on a cam strap at the bottom of the tank. I use light fins because I am foot heavy. If you move the weight around, you might find you need less of it as you get all sexy slim.

Awesome man.
Glad you dove.

I got an awesome epiphany.
With a BP/W, and lowerig my suit from 7+7 to a 5+7.

I realized i needed 3kg vs 9kg with a regular stab jacket.

And it was amazing.i had ****** trim since I tried with 6kg, and 15l steel, had to drop to 1.5kg at the end of dive weight check.

Which should be roughly 3kg with my regular 12l steel.

Back
Top Bottom