Antifreeze Solution in Environmentally Sealed 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WB2GLP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have a specific recommendation for antifreeze solution (not grease) to use in an enviornmentally sealed 1st stage?

Thanks!

I've never heard of a non-grease "anti-freeze" solution you would put in an environmentally sealed first stage. What kind (brand and model) takes something besides grease? I would guess Food Grade Propylene glycol, but it will wash out as the piston moves back and forth as you breath. My educated guess is that the solution wouldn't last more than a minute or 2.

We use Mineral oil because it is cheap. The Alternative is Silicone oil.

Mineral oil will turn golden or cloud if water intrudes therefore, if you are using it in something like a gauge that needs to stay clear for many many years use the silicone. If you are using it inside a reg, use the mineral oil and replace it at every service.

We use Mineral oil because it is cheap. The Alternative is Silicone oil.

Mineral oil will turn golden or cloud if water intrudes therefore, if you are using it in something like a gauge that needs to stay clear for many many years use the silicone. If you are using it inside a reg, use the mineral oil and replace it at every service.

Learn something every day. What kinds of regs use a mineral oil that doesn't leak, and is legal to use in the ocean if it does leak?

Learn something every day. What kinds of regs use a mineral oil that doesn't leak, and is legal to use in the ocean if it does leak?

Piston regs use grease, the older diaphram regs like the Conshelf used/s oil between the main diaphram and the seal diaphram. This has sense been replaced with a solid pushrod and seat between the diaphrams.

I have mares MR32 TT 1'st stage with CWD kit . It is filled with silicone oil. New mares 1'st stage have also CWD ''dry kit'' replacement .

CWD kits
416851_CWD_Kit.jpg

and is legal to use in the ocean if it does leak?

Wait, let me check with BP. LOL Sorry, had to go there. We're talking less oil than a Hawaiian Tropic girl applies before going to work.

The fluid that was originally in the reg (Ocean Reef Arctic) was transparent yellow/green in color. Looked like Prestone, but it didn't smell or taste like it. :D

is legal to use in the ocean if it does leak?

It is consumable and sold in your local pharmacy supply for internal use. Been on the shelf for over 40 years and I have never heard of EPA, nor Food and Drug ever issuing a statement regarding toxicity.

I use 151 rum in the freeze cap of my Cyclon 300s. Works fine. Some regs, like the Cyclons require a thin fluid, others need something a bit more viscus.

Thanks, Hallmac. I'll give that a whirl.... after I contact the EPA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom