Antifreeze Solution in Environmentally Sealed 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Hallmac. I'll give that a whirl.... after I contact the EPA.

Just don't drink the remainder of the bottle when your done filling the reg, or you will definitely get a whirl, a moan, and some gurgling! :rofl3:

That's what I like about my "solution," every spring I got to check for salt water leaks by drinking it down.

That's what I like about my "solution," every spring I got to check for salt water leaks by drinking it down.

Maybe you should switch to tequila, sounds like a Margarita to me. :)

...the older Poseidons (pre-Xtreme 1st stages) use 100% ethyl alcohol as their anti-freeze.....and I have a Mares RUBY that used to use the 100% silicone oil anti-freeze system, until I later had it upgraded to the new Mares dry-sealed 1st-stage...the liquid filled systems are old-fashioned and considered obsolete, the only current production regs I'm aware of that still use a liquid filled system are the Poseidon Cyclon/Jetsteams, and those regs are decades old.

I use 151 rum in the freeze cap of my Cyclon 300s. Works fine. Some regs, like the Cyclons require a thin fluid, others need something a bit more viscus.

...which would explain why the bill for 'shop supplies' on my last Poseidon happened to equal the price of a fifth of Ron Bacardi..... :)

DOT 5 Silicon brake fluid

For me at the moment, it's easier to find food grade silicone spray
depressurize, poke a hole and pour in a bottle. I like paraffin oil
at the moment for computers and gauges and compasses and
mineral oil for sealed electric motors if I happen do that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom