Anxious diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the visualizations advice, before a dive run though the entire process from gearing up to climbing back up that boat ladder. It should calm you down and allow you to think about possible problems/solutions that could occur underwater.

Let’s see: drowsiness, lightheadedness, tiredness, dizziness, irritability, talkativeness, dry mouth, increased salivation, difficulty urinating… which of these are a good idea for diving?

Those are NOT guaranteed to happen. How could you have dry mouth and increased salivation?

Obviously you would want to take the drug and test it on your system before you dive.

[QUOTE/] Those are NOT guaranteed to happen. How could you have dry mouth and increased salivation?

Obviously you would want to take the drug and test it on your system before you dive.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming that the medication behaves the same at elevated pressures and that your response will be the same each day. Neither are particularly solid assumptions.

To be fair, Bennett and Elliott's is less conservative about the use of medication than I would have expected. However, though they don't address Xanax or Ativan directly, they do caution that "anxiolytics may aggravate narcosis". In regards to sedatives (not sure if Xanax or Ativan fit the bill here) they say "synergy of sedative drugs with nitrogen narcosis should be considered... because of the risk of arrhythmias".

Do a Google search for "diving medication contraindicated" (don't use Xanax as everyone has adds for cheap Xanax). Here's an article from DAN on anxiety.

Most of the articles I've read so far distill down to there's so little data they can't say for sure but consult your doctor. Given the liability issues involved you probably won't get a straight answer from your doctor which leaves you to do the research yourself. You can try contacting DAN directly.

Be aware that when you dive you're doing more to your body than just getting it wet. Bennett and Elliott's Physiology and Medicine of Diving has almost 800 pages dedicated to the subject and that's just one text.

Leave the pills on the beach.

Being anxious prior to diving is not always a bad thing. You may be excited about the dive.

I agree with the visualization idea as well as the deep breaths. I try not to rush to get in the water. I try to keep a calm atmosphere (even if it is within me). Being underwater is very meditative and zen like, I try to visualize that prior to descending. Try to listen to your body! If you are underwater and feeling anxious and the slow, deep breaths are not working, then communicate with your dive buddy and ascend safely together.

Safety is the key! Dive smart and know your own body!

Back
Top Bottom