Anxious diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty new at this too...I would add that there are little things i do to get "in the right place" mentally.

*I like to get to the boat (or shore) super early so nothing is rushed and i know i am all set. And get the best seat in the boat... where is up to you... If you get seasick... sit where is best for you... wanna be first in... sit at the end.

*I also do a little visualization of all the normal stuff before i get in. Stupid stuff like ok, i'm gonna make sure my air is on...sit on the side of the boat (or am going to walk to the edge)-- put my hand on my reg and mask, make sure i have a little air in my BC... i literally go through going down... and thinking about good technique... i can go on and on... but bet you know what i mean... If you want me to write it all down PM me.
For me it works really well... i feel great when i hit the water. (sometimes i do this just for fun because i miss being in the water)
hope that helps!

*I also do a little visualization of all the normal stuff before i get in. Stupid stuff like ok, i'm gonna make sure my air is on...sit on the side of the boat (or am going to walk to the edge)-- put my hand on my reg and mask, make sure i have a little air in my BC... i literally go through going down... and thinking about good technique... i can go on and on... but bet you know what i mean... If you want me to write it all down PM me.
For me it works really well... i feel great when i hit the water. (sometimes i do this just for fun because i miss being in the water)
hope that helps!

That is a fantastic and underutilized tool.

I remember reading a description of a perfect peaceful descent that board member Pasley would write from time to time in posts.

This was before I got certified and I wish I had a dollar for every time I laid there in bed awaiting our checkout dives and virtually dropping down to the bottom. I honestly believe that burning that routine into my brain coupled with it being a positive experience was a big help in getting started.

Pete

Anxiety is a precursor for panic... so be sure to keep it in check. There are many things you can do to relax underwater... the first is become proficeint in every life saving skill. If you haven't already taken a rescue class - take one. It will challenge you to become a competent, self relient and confident diver.

Second, do some relaxation exercises in the water. In full gear, lie on your back with your BCD fully inflated and just float. Focus on hearing the sounds around you. Close your eyes and relax all your muscles. Literally float free. After you have totally relaxed... repeat this exercise trying to hover on your back in mid water (about 10 - 15 feet below the surface.) Your effort is to be able to achieve neutral bouyancy and keep it without opening your eyes and looking at your gauges. Have a buddy by your side to make sure you don't end up sinking out of control or floating to the surface. A Good buddy will lightly tap your chest to tell you you are rising or your back to tell you you are falling.

After you've mastered these skills and all other skills - you'll be able to darn near fall asleep under water... wallah... anxiety gone.

From what I've seen from my limited experience as a DMT, one common anxiety that newer divers seem to have is the concern about not being able to descend. They expect to sink right to the bottom when they deflate their BC, and when that doesn't happen, and they migh get more anxious when they see that their buddy has descended without them. What happens next is that they get more anxious, start breathing harder, and making it more difficult to descend when all they need to do is to exhale to descend. I tried a deep breathing relaxation technique, which I now teach my anxious students. It's just breathing in and out slowly for 10 counts. What that does is that it slows down the heart rate and breathing, and the adrenaline. With a normal rate of breathing, and a steady mind, the diver would be in a better state of mind to counter any situations they might be worried about.

Find out what is it that worries you, find out how to counter it, and run through a mental rehearsal before you get into the water. What that does is a form of assurance, that you'd know what to do when your dread hits you.

Just my two cents' worth, hope it helps!

I think a little anxiety, or apprehension, or increased arousal, is a good thing. Being completely relaxed about going underwater is a good start to becoming complacent, and eventually careless. A little hightened alertness keeps you checking your gear, checking your buddy, reviewing your dive plan, and monitoring your gas.

But if it's enough to interfere with your enjoyment of the dive, it's too much.

Then you have to figure out, as somebody said, what you're worried about. For me, at the beginning, it was all buoyancy control. I was terrified of rocketing to the surface (and it happened a few times!) Diligent work on it eventually got buoyancy to where I didn't spend the whole dive fretting about it. Your anxiety may or may not be the same as mine, but once you figure out what you're not feeling secure and confident about, you know what to work on.

Thanks for the good advice, everyone! I will definitely be trying the exercises you guys described.

TSandM, one of my biggest fears is actually also rocketing to the surface.

Hey you should check out my saga under "Not So Cousteau" -- just got certified, but it was not an easy ride, until I firmly decided to make it as easy as possible on myself.

Anxious... I bolted, once from 50ft because I got a little narked.
The second dive I refused to go down because my regulator was making that creepy wheezy sound... and the instructor had to swim back to the shore with me while my classmates bobbed patiently. That sound is normal to me now... we've got loaner gear in the class, and I always use the same one now -- it's become like an old friend and I know that it works.

But isn't amazing, and like... MIND EXPANDING? We're learning so much about our own triggers, and get to look at the pretty fish, too!

No drugs needed. Listen to, and focus on nothing but your breathing. That's all you have to do. It's a meditation style actually and its how I calm down all the time. Make sure that your breaths are long and deep, that's all you have to do.

I concurr Xanax or Ativan. Wonderful

Let’s see: drowsiness, lightheadedness, tiredness, dizziness, irritability, talkativeness, dry mouth, increased salivation, difficulty urinating… which of these are a good idea for diving?

Xanax is a benzodiazepine, a tranquilizer… valium and scuba, does not strike me as a good plan.

If this wasn’t a troll, sorry for being harsh but your post scares the snot out of me. Ask your doctor.

A trick that works for me is to bob on the surface and catch my breath before starting the dive. Make sure you have enough air in your bc so you aren’t working to keep your head above water. Chill for a minute, talk to your buddy, put your face in the water and look at all the cool stuff then, when you’re ready, go dive!

You’re aware of your anxiety and it sounds like you’re dealing with it intelligently. Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom