Any advice for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danboy785

Reaction score
Hi, I just had a few questions and would be grateful if anyone could help!

1) While i'm still a new diver should I start buying my own equipment now or rent? And if so which should I buy first?
2) Does anyone know of any good fairly shallow dives (15m or less) In the South of England?
3) Any recommendations on clubs/groups in Wiltshire for me to join (I'm a member of BSAC)

danboy785:

1) While i'm still a new diver should I start buying my own equipment now or rent? And if so which should I buy first?

I would say rent several different brands and models of gear until you find what you like best. Just trying stuff on in a store won't give you a feel for how it is to dive in the gear. Myself, I vote for BC first as most BCs should be adjusted to fit you well. Also you don't want to have to get used to a new BC every time you go out. Some will say to get a regulator first, I feel that unless you are buying a high end model, all the rental ones will work just as well as the next. Also if you are not sure how much you will be diving the cost for annual regulator service could be a factor.

danboy785:

Buy

First a drysuit as its a vital piece of kit and has to fit. Dont even consider a wetsuit - its a false economy. Then regs, then jacket. Leave a tank until last. Renting will work out very expensive very quickly.

2) Does anyone know of any good fairly shallow dives (15m or less) In the South of England?

Literally hundreds depending where on the south coast you are and if you want boat or shore. You need to be more specific. Plymouth for example has HMS Scylla etc.

3) Any recommendations on clubs/groups in Wiltshire for me to join (I'm a member of BSAC)

Probably better off checking the BSAC site ( http://www.bsac.com/meet/meetbranch.html ) or posting on the BSAC forums ( http://www.bsacforum.co.uk/ )

get a good drysuit or expect to replace it sooner than you think.

danboy785:

Buy your own stuff. Please, please for your own sake, check out a back plate and wing. I know you'll like it.

...or like other people hate it.

String:
...or like other people hate it.
not to get into a pissin' contest with you. All serious divers use a BP/W. A fact which is not in dispute.

you evidentally have some very warped definition of "serious diver".

danboy785:

Here are the advantages of a diving a back plate and wing. You decide what you like.
I'll probably forget a few someone else may help with what I forget.
1) adjusts to any size
2 streamlined in the water, less drag much easier swimming.
3) size the air cell to your needs
4) add the things you need in the places you want them
5) packs for travel very well smaller than typical stab jacket
6) comfortable because YOU adjust exactly to fit your needs
7) a properly configured setup is the safest you can get because of reduced failure points.
8) relates to #2 places you in proper position for better diving with less effort.

It's really, really easy to manage.

Perhaps you won't like it, but if you have someone who knows what they're doing show you how to use and set it up, you won't be sorry.

By the way, the less "hoopty" stuff you have hanging off of you the better off you'll be. It's less to manage and less drag in the water.

You decide.

Welcome to diving! :)

Randy

Randy43068:
not to get into a pissin' contest with you. All serious divers use a BP/W. A fact which is not in dispute.
You can take the 15 of us out of that "all" equation. And I thought we were serious divers. I guess the Zeagles make us not so serious.

Sure there are advantages but there are also disadvabtages as well. No one product is right for everyone even though you are thinking so.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom