Any advice on Aruba in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atxer:
There is also a guy that I hooked up with from red sail diving named Gilbert. Really great guy. Sometimes he goes out diving and will take you to some spots that the boats don't hit.

I am going to Aruba in June. I found this advice interesting because of a Red Sail experience somewhere else.

When I went to Grand Cayman, I did no real research before going, and I went with the nearest dive op. Like half of Grand Cayman ops, it was affiliated with Red Sail. I arrived in the morning, set up my dives for the week, and did an afternoon dive. The DM announced that we were going to be doing a 35 minute dive to 60 feet. He was precisely correct; in 35 minutes we were back on the surface. Of course, I had half my air still in the tank, and I was not at all pleased. I asked around and was told this was standard Red Sail policy.

I did some rapid research and found Ocean Frontiers just down the road, and it turned out to be a great outfit that gave me all the diving fun I needed. I canceled all plans with Red Sail and had a great week as a result.

So are we talking about the same Red Sail company in Aruba? Are they going to have a similar policy to that of Grand Cayman, or can someone with skills a teensy weensy bit past beginner get a reasonable dive from them?

boulderjohn:
I am going to Aruba in June. I found this advice interesting because of a Red Sail experience somewhere else.
... Grand Cayman, ....with Red Sail. The DM announced that we were going to be doing a 35 minute dive to 60 feet. He was precisely correct; in 35 minutes we were back on the surface. Of course, I had half my air still in the tank, .....

So are we talking about the same Red Sail company in Aruba? Are they going to have a similar policy to that of Grand Cayman, or can someone with skills a teensy weensy bit past beginner get a reasonable dive from them?

Yep. That's the same Red Sail in Aruba. I dunno if they have the same rules, but I wouldn't be surprised.

FYI, most of the dive operators have a limit on bottom time in Aruba I think. I never did a dive with Pelican over 45 minutes. Of course most were at 60 or 70 feet, so most divers were about out of air then anyway. The only dive I did where I came up with lots of extra air in Aruba was the Pedernalis, which is part of a ship that was torpedoed in WWII. They towed it into 10-20 feet of water to salvage parts of it. It's collapsed on itself now and is pretty shallow. I think after 45 minutes I still had 1800psi left. But the wreck isn't that big to see otherwise and you can see it all in 45 minutes, and do it twice!. It is a good wreck for photo taking as it's very shallow and has great light. The snorkle boats also feed the fish, which takes away all shyness they have. They think you might feed them so they will let you get very close and take their picture, thinking you have food. Some "hardcore" divers might not like it because of it's simpleness and shallow depth, but I really liked it.

-mike

mike_s:
Yep. That's the same Red Sail in Aruba. I dunno if they have the same rules, but I wouldn't be surprised.

FYI, most of the dive operators have a limit on bottom time in Aruba I think. I never did a dive with Pelican over 45 minutes. Of course most were at 60 or 70 feet, so most divers were about out of air then anyway. The only dive I did where I came up with lots of extra air in Aruba was the Pedernalis, which is part of a ship that was torpedoed in WWII. They towed it into 10-20 feet of water to salvage parts of it. It's collapsed on itself now and is pretty shallow. I think after 45 minutes I still had 1800psi left. But the wreck isn't that big to see otherwise and you can see it all in 45 minutes, and do it twice!. It is a good wreck for photo taking as it's very shallow and has great light. The snorkle boats also feed the fish, which takes away all shyness they have. They think you might feed them so they will let you get very close and take their picture, thinking you have food. Some "hardcore" divers might not like it because of it's simpleness and shallow depth, but I really liked it.

-mike

I went to Aruba in July with 16 members of my family ranging in age from 13-71. I can honestly say that everyone had a great time. First of all, the island and the people are beautiful. You feel very safe, and do not experience the begging and poverty that you do in some other places. The diving is very good, and I would highly recommend a night dive. We did one as our last dive for the week, and it was spectacular. Clive at Dive Aruba is the best!! Definitely book with him, and you will not be disappointed.

As for topside activities, there is lots to do. Spend a day shopping in Oranjestad. Bring your wallet, especially if anyone you are with like jewelry, as I found really good prices.

There are wonderful restaraunts on the island, and lots of fun places in town with dancing.

For the best in dining recommendations check out the message boards on Aruba.com. There are people on there that go a few times a year and have all of the inside scoop.

Have a great time, and know that I am jealous!!

Pam

I think the Pedernalis is in 40' or so. My dive on it was short too. I think we did about 40 minutes and came up with 1200 or more. I think there are two sections of the boat also. I did this dive before I was cetified due to surgery and the certified divers dove the same boat but went out slightly further. I think they said they were in 60'.
I was there in April and the wreck was loaded with "baby" fish. We were warned not to swim into them because it was easy to get disorienated.
At any rate Pelican is a good outfit to dive with.

I leave on Feb27 staying @ La Cabana and have all week booked with Clive at http://www.divearuba.com/
I have been checkin my gear every night making sure Iwont forget anything
I did just buy a used MotorMarine IIEX w/strobe for the trip it should be a GREAT time!! :dazzler1:
Anyone have any hints on what thickness of suit I should take ?

My dives in April, I wore swim trunks and was warm. The DM wore a 3 shorty and the photographer wore a full 5, hood included. If I do it again I think I will buy a skin just for the protection from stings and other nasties.

Hello! 7 of us, all novice divers (including 1 doing his OW referrals), have scheduled 8 dives with Clive in early March. I understand that is the max # his boat can take. For those who have dove with Clive, how much room will the 7 of us have on his boat? Also, it doesn't look like much shade on his boat, is that correct? Any advice on how to keep from sun burning? Does Clive come ashore between dives? Thanks!

Dive Red Sail Sports and you will be PISSED. They ARE TERRIBLE. Pleeeease do not make the same mistake I did and waste your money. You will hate life if you dive with them, it's HORRENDOUS.

Dive with Clive/Dive Aruba! He's the man! His guided tour of the Antilla wreck was one of the highlights of our honeymoon. I can't mention the others, but one involved us almost getting locked out on our balcony in less than proper attire :) I don't know if Clive can do 7 people, I know he can do 6 for sure. Avoiding sunburn on his boat? There's one shady spot (which the dermatologist on our trip hogged), and you can always put your shirt on between dives, and use super high SPF sunblock and reapply liberally.

For chow, I highly recommend Rumba downtown and Texas de Brazil by the high rises. Dinner at Bucuti, where we stayed, was always awesome as well.

crpntr133:
I think the Pedernalis is in 40' or so. My dive on it was short too. I think we did about 40 minutes and came up with 1200 or more. I think there are two sections of the boat also. I did this dive before I was cetified due to surgery and the certified divers dove the same boat but went out slightly further. I think they said they were in 60'.
I was there in April and the wreck was loaded with "baby" fish. We were warned not to swim into them because it was easy to get disorienated.
At any rate Pelican is a good outfit to dive with.

I must have dove the "shallower" of the section.

I saw a huge group/column extending upwards of "baby fish". Hundreds of thousands of them. I've never seen such a thing. I did swim into them and they "opened up" a hole for me to swim through them and as I looked back the hole "closed up" after me,. It was really cool. There were so many of them that it actually reduced the light coming through. It was errie but one of the cooler things I've seen diving (swimming through that many). I wish I had a video camera just for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom