Any Brac news?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you mean the South end.

You're right ... its on the South side. Unfortunately, my post can no longer be edited to fix that.

BTW, I also had a chat last week with the owner of "Son of a Brit" diving; he's hoping to start up a new operation on the Brac; likely ETA is late 2009. The business concept is to basically be a small B&B with meals & diving included.

-hh

In the press release it is mentioned that the owner is turning away customers and they are potentially looking at other destinations. Perhaps it would be more advantageous for the island if she were to refer these customers to some of the condo or home owners who rent their places out to tourists. More people on the island eating, drinking, diving, renting cars and spending money could really help the Brac economy right now. This has been a very difficult time for the Brac and getting anyone on the island would be a great help.

Totally concur.

BTW, I also had a chat last week with the owner of "Son of a Brit" diving; he's hoping to start up a new operation on the Brac; likely ETA is late 2009. The business concept is to basically be a small B&B with meals & diving included.

-hh

-hh,

Cool! Sounds like an example of what chibracdiver is suggesting.

another: My wife and I are staying at Cayman Cottage and diving with Indepth Watersports in June.

I'm sure there are other options, too.

k

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting here. I am known here on Cayman Brac, as BracGypsy. It's nice to meet everyone here.

I have a bit of information about the Brac after hurricane Paloma. I read here on this forum many questions asking when things will be back up and running here on the Brac. Cayman Brac and the Resorts are on the Road-to-Recovery but as some you know on November 8th, 2008 Hurricane Paloma hit Cayman Brac and Little Cayman with a CAT-4 145 mph winds' CAT-5 in wind gust, and huge storm surge. Many of the buildings, and homes here on the Brac were damaged and some totally destroyed. Both the Brac Caribbean and Carib Sands suffered damage and are still closed due to repairs. Brac Reef Resort {BRR} is due to open mid Sep 2009 or early Oct. The BRR bar opens at 12pm 7 days a week and is serving drinks' lunch and dinner.

Cayman Brac is still planning on opening in mid-2009. This little island took a very hard hit. We now have some of the vacation rentals back up and doing busness for divers and vacationers. Also Cayman Airways have now resume plans for it's non-stop flights from Miami to Cayman Brac twice a week.

Here are a few vacation rentals that are now available here on the BRAC. I can't post the URL yet so please Google:

Villa Marbella
The Villa Marbella is located on a very private sandy beach, great location for diving and snorkeling. It can sleep up to 14 people.

"Villa Marbella" Cayman Brac. or
"Bamboo Bay" Cayman Brac. or
"Sunset Cottage" Cayman Brac. or
"Turtle Run" Cayman Brac. or
"Cayman Breakers Condominiums" or
"Cayman Brac Rentals" Cayman Brac... {LARGE LIST OF RENTALS}
"The Alexander Hotel" Will be opening May 15th, come rain or shine. They are having their Grand Opening on the 16th. The Alexander has 33 beautiful rooms, all with kitchens, and 2 of it's 33 bedrooms are 2 bedroom.

Indepth Watersports has right now the only boats going out on diving trips. So please Google.
"Indepth Watersports". OR call "Craig" TOLL FREE at: 1-866-476-2195 or
the Dive shop: 1-345-948-8037.

AS for the Divi TimeShares, Both the building we affected by Hurricane Paloma. The high winds breached both building on all three floors. I do not know when Divi will be repairing either of these Timeshares. No rebuilding has started as yet. The Divi Tiara Beach Resort in Cayman Brac closed to the general public effective September 23, 2006. All beachfront timeshare suites closed to guests following Hurricane Paloma November 8, 2008. Divi timeshare owners who need more information regarding Divi Tiara should contact Susan Moore at 919-419-3484 or email susan.moore@diviresorts.com.

As far as Divi Resort, and it's property. Divi closed as of Sep. of 2006. And it's property has been up for sale for quite some time now. Divi is asking 9 million. Any real buyers could offer a few million less now that Paloma did more damage to it's buildings infrastructure, and parts of it was torn down. Any real buyers please contact ME here, I would to have the sells commission check on that one... :)

See ya guys on the BRAC. I hope I have given some helpful information here.

If you guys have any questions please ask me here. If I don't know the answer, I will find out for you.

Thanks..

BracGypsy.

Last edited:
Divi timeshare owners who need more information regarding Divi Tiara should contact Susan Moore at 919-419-3484 or email susan.moore@diviresorts.com.
Sadly, I have it on pretty good authority (a site for Divi owners) that Susan is no longer with Divi.

Sadly, I have it on pretty good authority (a site for Divi owners) that Susan is no longer with Divi.
Hi Knotical,

YA.... Thanks for the update. I tried calling the Divi phone # from here on the BRAC and I get nothing but a recording saying: Your number can not be compleated as dialed.... I tried 5 times. Since as you say you have good authority, Do you know if there is another person or phone # for calling Divi?

I took a drive over to the Timeshares yesterday and did a walk though. All three floors in both Timeshares were breached by the hurricane force winds, But to tell the truth both buildings are not in that bad of shape. There is no mold, no more that 4 small windows broke, all doors to every apartment are opened, for what reason, I don't know. There is sand everywhere, and some of beds and couches would have to be replaced. The walls inside and outside, and inside roof are wood, so they are OK. There is not a lot of damage at all. The outside roofing on part of both building need repairing. There's a huge tree that blew into the front columns of the stairwell of the front north east Timeshare. BUT the tree did not breach the building. I wouldn't think it would take much time and cash to repair at all. It's not like Divi Corp is broke, being that have all the Divi's.. LOL...

Anyway, Thanks again for the update. :)

BracGypsy

In the press release it is mentioned that the owner is turning away customers and they are potentially looking at other destinations. Perhaps it would be more advantageous for the island if she were to refer these customers to some of the condo or home owners who rent their places out to tourists. More people on the island eating, drinking, diving, renting cars and spending money could really help the Brac economy right now. This has been a very difficult time for the Brac and getting anyone on the island would be a great help.
chibracdiver..... The biggest problem is everyone who had any damage at all, (which most all did due to Paloma) since nearly every apartment and private homes that rent out to tourist had some sort of hurricane damage; everyone had to rebuild all or part of their places. What I am getting at is they will be issued their NEW business lic BUT until the building, and electrical inspectors fully do their inspections. ALSO everything has to be up to the Cayman Islands building codes.

ALSO most everyone had to wait on insurance companies to pay out. What was bad about that was, it took up 4 months to pay everyone. Another bad thing is there were lot's pf people that were under-insured, due to the lack of the insurance comp's following up each year with the cost of inflation, and other things. Some people here couldn't afford the high price of insurance. After Hurricane Ivan hit Grand Cayman on Sep 12 of 2004. The price of insurance doubled and even tripled on everyone in the Cayman Islands after Ivan. Therefore some people here in the islands were self-insured. So these self-insured people had to come up with out-of-pocket cash or borrow from their bank to rebuild. Some here haven't had the cash at all to rebuild. There are quite a few homes here that are just standing with no roofs or walls.

Right now, there are very few rental accommodations available for tourist. Anyone coming to the Brac has to either know someone here, and have papers signed by the homeowners that the people will be staying at their home. So the Brac is still officially closed to tourist. Some people here have gotten the business Lic to reopen their homes and apartments to tourist. I took notice yesterday that Cayman Islands Travel and Tourism web site still has all of Cayman Brac 28 tourist rental accommodations listed as "Closed".Like I said before, some people have been issued their business lic, BUT until the building, and electrical inspectors pass these inspections, and Cayman Islands Government says the Brac can reopen, then we have to stay closed to the tourist.

ONE GOOD THING IS: The Alexander Hotel has their Grand opening the 15th of May. It has 33 rooms. Divers and tourist can start booking anytime they want now.

It has been a long road to recovery but we are trying our best. You guys hang in there, and please dont give up on us yet. I will say this' the Brac sure is a lot cleaner than it's been in years.

If you have any other questions please let me know, I will try to find out what going on.

BracGypsy :)

Last edited:
Do you know if there is another person or phone # for calling Divi?
One owner received the following:
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 10:05 AM
. . .
Dear Mr. . . .

Ms. Moore is no longer with the Company. Your message was forwarded to my attention for response.
. . .
Kind Regards,

Carla Baker
Owner & Guest Relations Coordinator
6340 Quadrangle Drive, Ste. 300
Chapel HIll, NC 27517
1-888-863-6822
carla.baker@diviresorts.com

If you have any other questions please let me know, I will try to find out what going on.
Since you made such a kind offer: Do you know if Sue Smartt's Cayman Cottage
is authorized yet?

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom