Any Brac news?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The quoting didn't work to well
Not certain what you mean, since the quote is visible on my display. But just in case, I'll repeat the quote:
"We are saddened to report that any redevelopment plans for the Divi Tiara Beach Resort have been indefinitely postponed."

Are there any options available?
Yes, they want us to use their other resorts. But several of us bought in the Brac specifically because it is in the Brac. I had previously tried their Bonaire resort and wasn't impressed.
We simply want them to live up to their contractual obligations. It doesn't look as if that will happen, though.
So a group of us got a restriction placed on the land registry that will require them to seek our permission in the event they try to sell the land.

Not certain what you mean, since the quote is visible on my display. But just in case, I'll repeat the quote:
"We are saddened to report that any redevelopment plans for the Divi Tiara Beach Resort have been indefinitely postponed."

Yes, they want us to use their other resorts. But several of us bought in the Brac specifically because it is in the Brac. I had previously tried their Bonaire resort and wasn't impressed.
We simply want them to live up to their contractual obligations. It doesn't look as if that will happen, though.
So a group of us got a restriction placed on the land registry that will require them to seek our permission in the event they try to sell the land.

The Divi Tiara Beach Resort and the TimeShares are TWO different pieces of property here on the Brac, BUT they are both owned by Divi. From what understand Divi can, and will sell Divi Tiara Beach Resorts land and it's surrounding buildings, {I should say what's left of the buildings}. Part of the Divi Resort has been bulldosed down, which was' the BIG eyesore east of the Tennis courts. Also from what I understand the Times Shares are not forsale by Divi. Just the Divi Resort. If the do sell the TimeShares, I am sure Divi will make right with all you guys. At least let us hope they do.... I read this one a online site: HERE>>> 3352 Property Report.indd

QUOTE: From site above!! (The Divi Tiara Resort on Cayman Brac was also put on the Market in 2006 for between US$9 million and US$11 million, according to the property’s owners. The asking price for the development of 59 rooms (not including the timeshare units which were not part of the sale).

I have been inside both the TimeShares since hurricane Paloma, They really don't look all that bad, sure the winds breached the buildings, BUT I would say it wouldn't take a lot to fix both the TimeShares back into livable conditions.

BracGypsy... :)

Hi Everyone, This news article about DIVI was in the Cayman Net Newspaper the end of last week.. "Aug 13th 2009".

Brac's Divi hotel not for sale (Cayman Net News, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands) By Tad Stoner, Cayman Net News, Grand Cayman, Cayman IslandsMcClatchy-Tribune Regional News

Aug. 13--The Divi Tiara Corporation says it will not dispose of its Cayman Brac property, but will redevelop it to a higher standard. The corporation is also calling for improved airlift from both Miami and Texas.

Meanwhile Leader of Government Business and Minister of Tourism, Hon McKeeva Bush, says he will meet the Cayman Brac business community at the end of the month and will discuss the Divi Tiara prior to contacting management with an ultimatum.

"I'll be talking to Cayman Brac businesses about how to deal with these men," Mr Bush said, referring to officials at the North Carolina-based hotel corporation.

"What holds true for the Hyatt, though, holds true for Divi," he said. "They cannot continue to pull down [values], it cannot continue to deteriorate. People like them cannot expect to just do nothing," Mr Bush said.

Weeks ago, Mr Bush vowed to deliver "an ultimatum" to Divi officials similar to that given to Asif Bhatia, owner of the local Hyatt Regency in the Seven Mile Beach area, seeking action on the abandoned property by the end of the year.

"I have not heard from or received any communication from Mr Bush," said Divi Resorts president and CEO EJ Schanfarber.

"We have absolutely no interest in disposing of the resort and have never seriously considered any purchase offer. We remain firmly committed to Divi Tiara and will redevelop when the time and business environment supports the investment. I sincerely hope that the Cayman government understands and appreciates our position," he said.

Please read the rest here:
Brac's Divi hotel not for sale (Cayman Net News, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands) - 13 Aug 03:00

BracGypsy!

Hi Everyone, This news article about DIVI was in the Cayman Net Newspaper the end of last week.. "Aug 13th 2009".

"We have absolutely no interest in disposing of the resort and have never seriously considered any purchase offer. We remain firmly committed to Divi Tiara and will redevelop when the time and business environment supports the investment. I sincerely hope that the Cayman government understands and appreciates our position," he said.

]

BracGypsy!

This sounds like alot of hot air and Divi may be using a statement like this to put off the Cayman gov't from doing anything for a few more years....Divi is really good at putting off anyone who wants them to do something, just ask any of the Brac timeshare owners.

Is the lack of direct flights to the brac the problem? Can Cayman Air get enough people there on a regular basis to keep the resort profitable?

The simple answer is that airlift is a hassle, but its not something that should have killed a resort: keep in mind that LCBR is roughly the same size as the Divi, yet they somehow "survive" without even having 737 Jet service...just Twin Otter flights.

(re: Divi's latest letter) This sounds like alot of hot air and Divi may be using a statement like this to put off the Cayman gov't from doing anything for a few more years....Divi is really good at putting off anyone who wants them to do something, just ask any of the Brac timeshare owners.

Agreed. This statement from Divi is their SOP: talk a good talk, do nothing, buy time.

And since the current Cayman government is business-friendly, Divi's letter will be their excuse to talk tough and look good, but in reality, also take no action.

The bottom line AFAIC is that all Timeshares ... and especially any from Divi Resorts ... are a poor investment. A big part of the reason why is because the contract sounds good, but has nothing in it to protect you, and since they invariably invoke local jurisdiction, if anything goes wrong, you're not eligible to sue them in a USA court.

-hh

When we were on the Brac in late June, I stopped by and got a brief tour. It seems like a nice mid-level hotel, complete with dining room and small pool. It's conveniently located on the south end of the western cross-island road.

I asked about accommodations for divers, and they are not focused that way. So be prepared to do your equipment rinsing and storage somewhere else. Since both Brac Reef and InDepth rinse and store your gear for you, it might not be a real issue. The Alexander does have a shower by the pool but the pool is surrounded by hotel, so schlepping your gear the back way to the shower could be disruptive to other guests. I'm guessing if they get a lot of divers as guests, they'll make some sort of accommodation.

A big part of the reason why is because the contract sounds good, but has nothing in it to protect you, and since they invariably invoke local jurisdiction, if anything goes wrong, you're not eligible to sue them in a USA court. -hh

True, but you can sue them in a Cayman court. Our law of contract is virtually the same as yours. British law applies here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom