Any Cooper River SC Divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi--I usually go to the Cooper River at least one weekend a month from May until Sept for the past 3 years. We usually get 6 dives per weekend. But this summer seemed to be very slow--the charter I usually go out with reported they were having trouble filling the boat--meaning 6 divers! He said there just didn't seem to be much interest. 6 of us chartered a dive boat out of Top Sail, NC and that was cancelled due to rough water--the Captain said it had not been a good summer for his charter either due to rough seas. It aparently was not a good summer for fossil hunting! Maybe next summer will be better. We usually go out of Goose Creek. What area did you dive on the Cooper? --River Queen

Here is a link to a Shark Tooth Map I made. It shows places I have dove and found sharks teeth, whale earbones, arrowheads, spearpoints, buttons, antique bottles, antique smoking pipes, french coins, spanish coins, old ship timbers, and fossilized bones of many types.

Megalodon Shark Tooth Map

I was between dives on the boat one day - looked over and a styrofoam meal type container goes floating by, thinking I'd run it down later (and I couldn't reach it anyway) I let it go...about 10 yds past the boat a BIG gator cruises out, eases right up to it and WHAM - just inhales it...one huge crunch with it's jaws and it's gone - I'm thinking well- won't need to run that down later and I'm def done diving in THIS spot for today....

I was between dives on the boat one day - looked over and a styrofoam meal type container goes floating by, thinking I'd run it down later (and I couldn't reach it anyway) I let it go...about 10 yds past the boat a BIG gator cruises out, eases right up to it and WHAM - just inhales it...one huge crunch with it's jaws and it's gone - I'm thinking well- won't need to run that down later and I'm def done diving in THIS spot for today....

I'm with you on that one!!

What an impressive sight that was, I would imagine.

I have gone several times a year for the last 9-10 yrs and find as much or as little as allways. No prob with gators. I feel they just keep the crowds away. Capt Tom is a great charter and is one of the few that put in at Bushy Park and goes upriver. Usually a little deeper and swifter tidal current but seem to have good luck there. I'd also like to explore some new spots and dont mind cold water so if interested let me know. Andy Remember to get a state license for collecting even if going out with a charter.

When we went a couple of the guys had intercoms and full face masks. We would throw out and anchor and send one with a radio down and see if there was any need for all of us to hit the water, worked well..
Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom