Any details on the Penticton golf ball diving accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have any Pentiction area divers heard details on the golf ball diver accident?

Our local news reported that his buddy made it to shore to get help but it was too late. They reported they were diving a lake retrieving golf balls.

If you have any information please give your source so we can limit speculation. I have not posted this on the dive accident forum.

I'm only posting to get into my "subscribed" thread so I can keep updated... Sorry to hear about it.

mrobinson:
I'm only posting to get into my "subscribed" thread so I can keep updated... Sorry to hear about it.
You can just choose "Subscribe to thread" under "Thread Tools."

thanks Damselfish!

deepdiverbc:
Have any Pentiction area divers heard details on the golf ball diver accident?

Our local news reported that his buddy made it to shore to get help but it was too late. They reported they were diving a lake retrieving golf balls.

If you have any information please give your source so we can limit speculation. I have not posted this on the dive accident forum.

I found this article here http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/
cya
Ken

Man drowns diving lake on golf course

Apr 24 2005

Tracy Clark
News Staff Reporter
A Vancouver Island man is dead after a diving accident at St. Andrews by the Lake Thursday.
Patrick Allan Baker, a 33-year-old Courtney man, died while diving in the lake to collect golf balls, said Cpl. Rick Dellebuur from the Penticton RCMP.
Baker, wearing full diving equipment including an air tank, was working with a Delta company at the lake, he said.
The man was pronounced dead at Penticton Regional Hospital.
Foul play is not suspected in the death, said Dellebuur.
Worker's Compensation Board, the coroner and police are all investigating the death.
"It's tragic. It's unbelievable," said a six-year employee of the course, which is operated by a strata council. "Nothing like this has ever happened here."
Steve Toth, owner of Oceantec Scuba Diving in Penticton, said commercial diving is much different than sport or recreational diving.
The 25-year veteran said experience in difficult situations while diving can often be the difference between life and death.
Although he has not dived at St. Andrew's and does not know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's drowning, he said diving into dark and murky waters - which is often the case in smaller and more shallow lakes and ponds such as the St. Andrew's golf course lake - can cause confusion and disorientation. The diver may not be able to determine which way is up. A diver's comfort in the water is greatly decreased in these circumstances, he said.
Police have yet to release the circumstances behind the drowning.

Thanks for the report.

Even if low wasn't a main factor in this accident it is something to think about. I know divers that will abort a dive if the vis isn't within their comfort level. Their reasoning is if the vis is too low to enjoy the dive why continue in such a higher risk environment.

Commercial diving is a different situation where the dive may have to be planned as a low vis dive.

I don't know if this applies the case, bodies of water on a golf course have high concentration of pesticides and other chemicals due to runoff from the course. Usually a FFM, Dry Suit, etc.. is necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom