Any Diver from Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

najibest

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanna know if there are any divers from Austin in this board. I would be back to UT by the end of August and I really wanna make use of the OW license that I just got. So please do gimme some advise on the dive sites there or any diving activity done around Texas that I can join. Thanks..

Well, I live about 2 hours south of Houston and have heard of a few places to dive close to Austin area. You have Lake Travis which I hear is quite good. Also, if you travel south for about 30 to 40 minutes, you can run into some Rivers such as the Comal and the San Marcos or even Canyon Lake. All of these are greater than 4 hours for me, so I have started looking toward rig diving or driving 4 hours the other way to Toledo Bend (where I spent alot of time growing up at). It does help that I have a family of divers who still live within an hour away from Toledo Bend, so it makes the dive trip a family visit also.

If you get into diving and preserving nature, I would suggest the Scientific OW diving course (around $300) and head down to Aquarena Springs. It is very clear (about 40-50 ft vis) and a constant 70 degrees almost all year round. With the Scientific OW certification, you can dive there for free and help them out a bit by helping cleanup. Pretty awesome deal when you normally have to pay $25 per day to dive in the restricted area.

najibest, introduce yourself in the Texas Swamp Divers sub-forum. And you'll see a good number of Austin divers on this site.

You should have no problem getting use of your OW in Austin. Locally, the main place to dive is Lake Travis, and there are two main dive parks, Mansfield Dam and Windy Point. Both of these sites are busy during the weekend. If you fortunate enough to have a boat, more diving available to you as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom