Any Ear Dr's. in the house???? (Ear issues)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi - PLEAZZZZE HELP !?!
Was certified in SEPT. & I am still DEALING WITH the ear crap! aka- "Swimmers Ear" popping, all sounds are muffled - I feel Like 1/2 the time I am in a tin drum.
I have been on 3 rounds of prednisone - an antibiotic and oral deocongestant. NOTHING has helped!!!

Someone has to have had the same issues in diving?????

The Dr. stated all test were with in normal range; however I am still hearing popping inside my head when I release my jaws - Dr. stated maybe TMJ - - well dugh---I never had any TMJ before diving...how ironis is that - Please ANY advice would be helpful as I am ready to go diving new Years but afraid I want be able to equalize.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!????? Thanks!

ccherry@mchsi.com

Might try posting on the Marine Science and Physiology site or doing a search on the SB. FIW, I had a very similar experience early on in my diving after a week in COZ. I took meds for a slight ear infection and then went to an ENT and spent $300 for tests to find nothing wrong. After sometime, the popping went away or I just started ignoring it! I have had no problems with equalizing while diving or flying. Sorry this is not a solution for you! Good luck!!!!

Yes, try the Diving Physiology forum. Good luck with your search and welcome to the Scubaboard!

wanadive:
Hi - PLEAZZZZE HELP !?!
Was certified in SEPT. & I am still DEALING WITH the ear crap! aka- "Swimmers Ear" popping, all sounds are muffled - I feel Like 1/2 the time I am in a tin drum.
I have been on 3 rounds of prednisone - an antibiotic and oral deocongestant. NOTHING has helped!!!

Someone has to have had the same issues in diving?????

The Dr. stated all test were with in normal range; however I am still hearing popping inside my head when I release my jaws - Dr. stated maybe TMJ - - well dugh---I never had any TMJ before diving...how ironis is that - Please ANY advice would be helpful as I am ready to go diving new Years but afraid I want be able to equalize.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!????? Thanks!

ccherry@mchsi.com
HI. I don't have all the answers of course, but being a RN, your symptoms do sound like TMJ. Trying Ibuprofen routinely for 4 - 5 days doesn't sound like much, but this is what I recommend. I do believe your symptoms will resolve. You may have had minor TMJ coupled with an ear problem before your diving/flying. GOOD LUCK!

Without the ability to do a good physical examination, nobody on this board is going to be able to help you very much.

If you have been treated by a family physician, I would suggest a referral to an ENT doc. If it's an ENT physician who has been managing this, you have either the option of seeking a second opinion, or continuing with the treatment regimen this physician is working through.

Sometimes the diagnosis for a problem is not obvious, and we have to work through a number of possibilities before a response to treatment shows us what the answer actually was.

Yes ... TS & M:
I realize no one can give me the CORRECT answer via the internet; just curious if anyone had expedrienced same problem.As for SEASTAR GF - thank you for the suggestion - THAT is worth a try. Thanks again everyone - Happy HolidayS!

I would not write off TMJ. Divers do bite hard on their mouthpiece, especially in strong currents, thus it could contribute to your TMJ. Of course stress, chewing gum, beef jerky, and other tough snacks can contribute.

If truly all the diagnostic tests are negative, your doctor might be right suggesting TMJ. However, eustachian tube dysfunction might be sporadic, so your testing might not totally clear you for diving.

I would get a recheck exam by your ENT or family doctor before you start diving. I would hate for you to suffer permanent ear injury by suggesting you start diving with the information provided.

I'm having some major ear trouble too. It started w/ a little swimmers ear trouble way back in October, then I got a cold and didn't completely shake it and my eus tubes got clogged, then I got an ear infection. Still fighting if after a month, but I'm having the ear and jaw popping too. It was so bad for a while I lost hearing in one ear.

It's a long story but here is the end:

I ended up with a bad fungal infection in my ear canal (which the doctor said was encouraged by the antibiotics). Gross, huh? The treatment is funky and it's a slow recovery, but it is getting better.

Dont' know about the TMJ stuff.

Have a Merry Christmas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom