Any Equipment Advice for a short woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

britusa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,
I'm new to diving - very new. I'd like to get some of my own gear because I don't fit well in the stuff at the shops. I'm 5'1", 155lbs. In particular I'm looking for advice regarding a BC. All the ones I wear for training are too long in the torso. They are also full jacket and I feel a bit "smothered" in them. (mainly because they do ride up a bit around my neck). Any advice on what I should be looking for when I look at BCs? Is there a particular brand you like better than others?

Thanks in advance.

I have had a rough time of it.. i am 5'2" and 135-140ish... I purchased an Oceanic Isla in December but had a BAD LDS experience and dumped all of our equipment back on his counter the end of January, disputing the charges... another story... I loved the Isla, BUT alas, I found another LDS, one who is treating me with kid gloves. We went to the pool last weekend, I was going to try the Sea Quest Diva LX which looked comparable to the Isla but it looked too bulky. I tried on the Zeagle Zena, which I loved but it hit me wrong in the hips, then I tried his wife's Sea Quest Libra and love it even more than I loved the Isla... It fits me perfectly......

I ordered a Bare Velocity wetsuit in a 10+ size and it was here in 2 days... unfortunately it fit me everywhere (arms & legs miraculously) but the hips...damned hips anyway... it was way to roomy in the hips, so I ordered a size 12 which I am sure the arms & legs will be long but the hips may fit :pity_part .... i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

as to BC's, you might want to consider a backplate and wings. they are infinetly
adjustable; in fact, they are the most adjustable "BC" you can get.

oh, and welcome to diving =)

britusa:
Howdy,
I'm new to diving - very new. I'd like to get some of my own gear because I don't fit well in the stuff at the shops. I'm 5'1", 155lbs. In particular I'm looking for advice regarding a BC. All the ones I wear for training are too long in the torso. They are also full jacket and I feel a bit "smothered" in them. (mainly because they do ride up a bit around my neck). Any advice on what I should be looking for when I look at BCs? Is there a particular brand you like better than others?

Thanks in advance.
Believe it or not, you are not the first short woman who has not fit well into dive gear at the shops!! :11: (I know you're shocked, shocked! to hear this...) In fact, many other women report feeling the exact same sensations that you've experienced - smothered, or having the BC ride up on their torsos. Up on the bar just below where it says "Welcome, britusa" the third link over from the right is the Search link. Go to Advanced Search. If you enter key words like 'women' and 'BCs' you'll find quite a few threads discussing these issues, same (for example) if you use 'Women Zena Libra' or other combinations. (You can find the same threads in the archives by scrolling through the BC or Women's sections also, but using Search can be a bit faster...)

One of the things you'll also discover are the debates, one of which is germane to your interests. BCs come in different categories, some of which are jacket or wrap-around styles, which offer inflation panels on the sides and fronts, and back inflates or backplate and wings styles, which put all the inflation behind you. While both offer pros and cons, one of the advantages to back inflate BCs, including backplate and wings, are that the only thing that is on the front of you is the straps holding it on. Nothing crushes against your sides or chest when the panels are inflated, so you don't feel smothered. Plus, bp/wings don't ride up. A number of women on the board have just recently gone through exactly what you're going through. Best advice is to go through some of the recent threads, then PM some of the women and find out what they discovered as they looked at what was available. Best of luck.

[Ummm, you'll also find a company owned by women, who custom manufacture wetsuits just for women, that don't cost much more than off the rack wetsuits do, except that they fit about a thousand times better than off the rack wetsuits. Needless to say, this also makes fitting your BC easier. Its a system. All the parts work together. Problems in one area can lead to problems in others.]

And, welcome to Scuba Board.

Doc

Missed that you were Dir, IT. Sorry. You can likely figure out the search gig. Still, the archives can be informative. At the risk of being contentious, here's one for your consideration. Primary benefit is that its infinitely adjustable, hence perfect fit is guaranteed. (The importance of fit is often underrated...) No smother. No ride up. No crushed chest. No worries. Might work for you:
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/eclipse.shtml

Hope this helps.

I'm 5'5" and have a very short torso and long legs.

I bought my BC back in 1990 so I don't know what's currently available. I will agree with the backplate and wings suggestions. I've been using my TranspacII for three years now and love it. It's is very adjustable and thus fits snuggly.

As for other height-friendly considerations, shorter tanks are a dream come true. Long tanks just don't fit between my bumm and my head comfortably. I'm diving with Steel 95's but have friends that dive with AL63's (shorter dives) or Super 80's. For carrying tanks, there are velcro straps with handles you can buy to help. Otherwise, I find it helpful to carry tanks wearing high heels! It makes the distance to the ground greater and more amenable to tank height.

Paula

Thanks so much for all your comments/advice. Much appreciated! I'm finding there is a lot of good information on this board.

There are even backplate makers who make a shorter backplate. At 5'4" a standard Halcyon BP works just fine for me. IMO, one of the nicest features of a harness/backplate set up is that if you lose or gain weight (no matter how much), you can always adjust your rig to fit you.

Jackie

Hoyden:
There are even backplate makers who make a shorter backplate. At 5'4" a standard Halcyon BP works just fine for me. IMO, one of the nicest features of a harness/backplate set up is that if you lose or gain weight (no matter how much), you can always adjust your rig to fit you.

Jackie

Backplate fit is based more on the length of your back than your overall height. I've made them down to a length of about 10" for folks who can't possibly use a "standard" plate. PM me here (or e-mail the address below) with a e-mail address that takes attachments and I'll shoot you the info sheets and measurement instructions.

FT

britusa:
Howdy,
I'm looking for advice regarding a BC. All the ones I wear for training are too long in the torso. They are also full jacket and I feel a bit "smothered" in them. (mainly because they do ride up a bit around my neck).

All bet you were using a weight belt. right?

If so what happens is when at the surface with BC inflated the "lift" in the jacket pulls the BC up while the wieght belt pulls you down. It seems like the jacket is riding up but really YOU are being pulled down and the BC is staying on the surface

Try a wieght integrated jacket. With the weight inside the jacket there is no force pulling you and BC in different directions.

With your size you may not find a jacket type BC that will fit. The back inflation or "wings" type BC may noit be for you either. They tend to float you face down or you can lay on your back. Try a weight integrated jacket type. five minutes in the pool and you will see if this will work.

Back
Top Bottom